Finally made it to the track!

John Burns

The last time I took this car to the track was well over 10 years ago.  Time flies and life happens... Back then it had a 454 bottom end, and nipped the 11s.  In 2014, we bought a Shafiroff 540 bottom end, swapped on the ancient oval port heads, cam, etc. and have just been driving it.  It felt fast and is a blast to drive, but getting to the track just didn't happen.  I made the drive to Cecil last night and got a decent pass in.  (Damn cars are fast now!  Everyone running 9s like nothing.)   It ran 11.22 @ 117.6.  I guessed 11.3 and got close, but I thought it would be from a top end charge.  Considering it has 3.31s , 2400 converter, stock rear suspension, and is, well, you know- heavy :), I was shocked to see that 60'!  (It is also extremely quiet- I had to look at the tach while next to some open-exhaust cars just to make sure the engine is running!)  The car actually rolled over in 3rd- the stock fuel system isn't up to the job I guess.

No, I'm not ready for FAST (those guys are amazing), but I love my big orange bullet and the hupcaps!  There is more to that air cleaner than meets the eye, but I ran with that on too. 

monte timecard 3-14-2024.jpg

Monte engine compartment.jpg

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Nice John! Any pics of the whole car with hubcaps? 

Those caps fit on the rallys, so I have options if I want to change my look!

Monte with hupcaps.jpg

• Like 6

One other note- I made my pass immediately after the Red Line Oils Funny Car made a test shot.  Needless to say, I got the best prepped track there could be!

• Like 4

Very cool 🤘Glad to see a first gen at the track ! Enjoy the track time, not that Cecil is going anywhere but local tracks are closing left and right 😡

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

We will have to name it “Lil Red” since we already have a “Big Red”. Nice package in an SS car !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/27/2024 at 9:13 AM, Montemedic said:

We will have to name it “Lil Red” since we already have a “Big Red”. Nice package in an SS car !!

"Tribute"  SS car!  ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Burns said:

"Tribute"  SS car!  ;)

Still a nice piece of machinery you have there. 

• Like 2