AC Delco Rapid Fire Plugs

Patsy gave me a set of AC Delco Rapid Fire spark plugs for Christmas for my Monte.  I just got a chance to install them a couple days ago.  When I started the car it really ran horribly.  It was missing on at least two cylinders.  

Today I headed up to the storage garage and installed my old plugs that I had removed to install the AC Delco Rapidfire plugs.  I was surprised when, no questions asked, when Orielly's Auto Parts was willing to give me a full refund.  I then bought the AC Delco R45 plugs.  I didn't get a chance to install them yet.

When I looked at the Rapidfire plugs I removed, it looked like two of them never fired while 6 of them you could tell were not a problem.  I know it was not the plug wires because it ran fine when I put it away last year and after reinstalling my old plugs it ran good again.

I do not recommend the Rapidfire plugs.  The first thing I noticed about them was from the base that seats in the head, the exposed porcelain portion and electrode were longer than the original R45 plugs that were in there before.

rob

• Like 7

Hey Rob...

IF memory serves, I believe that the rapidfire plugs were only compatible with H.E.I. type ignitions. 

Did try them in my 3.8 L Buick and they weren't bad, better than some of those multi tipped ones. 

Scott.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Hey Rob...

IF memory serves, I believe that the rapidfire plugs were only compatible with H.E.I. type ignitions. 

Did try them in my 3.8 L Buick and they weren't bad, better than some of those multi tipped ones. 

Scott.

I can not find anything that says they are only compatible with HEI type ignitions.  Anyway, I now have the plugs I wanted from the get-go, now to find a chance to install them.

rob

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

I can not find anything that says they are only compatible with HEI type ignitions.  Anyway, I now have the plugs I wanted from the get-go, now to find a chance to install them.

rob

Third times a charm. 😝

12 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Third times a charm. 😝

I hope so.  Glad it is only a 350 and the plugs are a bit easier to get to.  But even at that they are not my favorite job.

rob

19 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

I hope so.  Glad it is only a 350 and the plugs are a bit easier to get to.  But even at that they are not my favorite job.

rob

Try the challenge of aftermarket headers on a 350.... Then you'll really not like it... lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Try the challenge of aftermarket headers on a 350.... Then you'll really not like it... lol

Headers on anything for that matter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Headers on anything for that matter. 

I can testify to that in the last 6 weeks

I don't believe that ACdelco manufactures spark plugs anymore. Their plugs for late model Chevrolets are made by Denso or NGK. I recently  installed NGK iridium plugs in my 70 SS 454 and they are working great. Platinum or iridium plugs Will last longer.

• Like 2