Sagging Drivers Door

Hi all, 

First time posting and just starting on a project to get a 472 installed in my 1970 monte. As an aside to that my driver's door is sagging and I would like to fix it. Is there a hinge and bushing kit anyone could point me to or am I looking at buying a new set of hinges? They appear to be the factory hinges as they are body color and crimped. 

Thanks. 

Welcome Curtis. Great group here. Most likely you can just replace the pin and bushings. If you open the door all the way and have someone move the door up and down you should be able to look and see exactly where it’s moving. If the bushings have been gone for awhile the holes in the hinge will be hogged out. Then you will need hinges. Pin and bushing kits are readily accessible. 

• Like 1

Which hinge and bushing kits do you know of specifically? I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CR6D9M87?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details but they look too big. 

I did that and it doesn't look too hogged out but the bushing is gone. 

Also do I just cut the factory pin to get it out? 

Thank you!!!

I think the pin should be able to drive it out after grinding the tabs off. They are designed to make up for the hole being oversized.  You may have to drill them out oversized but be careful not to go to big as the bushings won't stay in place properly.  It's not that bad of a job. Did a few back in the day when these cars were all over the place. 

Welcome Curtis!!!  Dennis is showing the correct part, and Steve is correct by saying not so hard of a job, just cut the tabs off and a little punching. As long as the bushings don't spin you should be fine

• Like 3

Welcome to the Club Curtis !!  You'd be better off replacing all 4 door hinges. You'll like how nice and smooth they close together after you change them out. Had mine in since '05 and still working good. Doors are heavy. I've strapped them up and used a hoist to do mine.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

Ok thanks for the advise on that, would you go with this set?: https://www.opgi.com/door-handles-hardware/door-hinges/door-hinge-restoration-kit/hinge-door-1968-72-gm-a-body-kit-ch2074.html

Or is there a better option for purchasing? OPGI seems to have stuff out of stock a lot. 

• Like 1

Opgi is most people's last resort here. All based on prior experiences. 

Pretty sure I used the Parts Place kits when I rebuilt my hinges. As long as the holes in the hinge itself aren't out of round from excessive wear, the kits are good. Otherwise the bushings will still be sloppy, and the door will still move around. I've welded the wear areas up in the past and drilled them for the bushings to fit though, but that's not the normal wear situation.

• Like 3

Got it yeah I am just starting to get my 70 put back together. I bought it in '16 with a GM Goodwrench 350 crate and 350 trans that I pulled (was going to do a 350swap into a LUV, that didn't work out, long story) and now just purchased a rebuilt 454 bored to a 472. I am in the process of collecting all the necessary accessories to get it running including going through an old th400, good times. Anyway that has nothing to do with door hinges but felt like I should share lol. 

OPGI is obnoxious so far in my limited experience. I had to cancel an order for inner fenderwells as it was backordered with no eta, I just got a pair off eBay. A

Anyway, I am glad this is an active site, I will be hitting you guys up often I think lol. 

• Like 3

After receiving “ETA pending” since I placed an order in September for a square key blank, I just got an ETA of 4/27. I never cancelled because it’s not something I had to have. Just wanted see how long it would be back ordered.