build sheet codes

Talking to some people at Carlisle the other day, 2 things that i could be wrong about but pretty sure i am not, but who knows the 1 brain cell only works when it wants to. lol

1) what is the build sheet code for the rear seat belt cups that are attached to the bottom of the back seat???

2) why didnt the SSs have cruise control???

I thought the seat belt cups in the rear might be a dealer add on but not sure.

As for the cruise control, I think the load level compressor did not leave enough room for the cruise control to be installed at the factory. I have seen dealer installed cruise control on an SS454 though. There is room but maybe weren’t able to make it work as a factory installation.

• Like 3

I don't know for sure on either of these but will answer from what my mind's eye may see...

1)  I have never seen seat belt cups for the rear seat on any car.  I would think since mostly children sit in the back seat it would be impossible to get kids to use them.  Also, since I have never seen belt cups in the front on a bench seat car I would think the belt cups were only installed on a bucket seat car with a console as a storage place for them so they wouldn't slip between the bucket seat and the console.

2)  As for the cruise control not being available on an SS.  I have always heard this too but I have seen one SS with it.  Like Aaron, I suspect it was dealer installed.  I had always heard the issue was because  of not sufficient due to the compressor.  Something I wonder about also is since they both the load level system and the cruise control use vacuum to operate (not to mention the brake booster) the car could maybe not produce enough vacuum for everything to operate properly.

rob

The rear seat technically weren’t cups. They were plastic pieces at the base of the rear seat that the belt buckles clipped on to. My low mile 72 had those as well as on the front bench seat. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Canuck said:

The rear seat technically weren’t cups. They were plastic pieces at the base of the rear seat that the belt buckles clipped on to. My low mile 72 had those as well as on the front bench seat. 

image.jpeg

those are neat, I had never seen them.

rob

I remembered them as tabs and not cups. They were on a 68 Impala I had. I had forgot about them until I saw the photo of the interior of a 72 Monte that was for sale and really want to get some to keep the rear seatbelts organized, at least the buckle portion. 

IMG_1561.png

• Like 2

Aaron and Rob  what you both said is exactly what i remembered and told him. I never seen them before either, so he showed me a pic looks like what you showed but it looked like it was topped with chrome or made of metal that was chromed. He also showed me a build sheet with 3 codes for seat belts, they are 

AK1, A39, A85.  I had told him, none of these were dedicated to the cups as far as i knew.   He said it might of been in a package and i agreed with that but still wasn't convinced, because i never seen them ever.

As far as the cruise control, i said exactly what you said that NO SS had it because of the pump. He said he had no proof but seen it and the unit was mounted on the frame below the pump. I was guessing dealer install also because i remembered Bruce saying he installed his.

He was a great guy, his name was Mike, very knowledgeable from his experience with rebuilding our Montes and others (I seen pics, beautiful cars). I tried to convince him to stop by the club but he wasn't interested.

Mark that could be them, i only seen one pic but the belt was attached, like i say they were chromed some how. Tkx for that as at least we know that could of been them!

• You're Welcome 1

As to the cruise control not being available on "SS" models, my understanding was that it was basically a warranty/safety issue.

Adding a factory installed unit made G.M. liable for and parts failures or accidents...... ie 70 mph in second gear can be hard on things, and 70 mph and not being able to decelerate can hurt as well. Remember, the cruise controls of the time weren't exactly reliable. 

I found this out when I inquired as to why the Buick T-Type/G.N./G.N.X.'s weren't equipped with manual transmissions. The reasoning was that too many "novice" drivers would over rev and burn out the turbochargers (and all parts downwind), which, with the proper warranty, would have to be covered by G.M. 

These rules are/were the motivation to get "dealer installed" parts..... And gave rise to such specialty dealers like Yenko Chevrolet, as well as many others.

Scott.

They put them on a bunch of small block cars. They went 70 mph too. But I do believe, to some degree, that’s a legitimate concern. 

Scott, I have never heard that.  I'm not sure what the difference in putting cruise control on an SS454 would make GM more liable than it would on a 350/402/400.  It does not make any sense.

rob

11 hours ago, willie said:

Mark that could be them, i only seen one pic but the belt was attached, like i say they were chromed some how. Tkx for that as at least we know that could of been them!

Maybe they were the ones used on console put on there.

Factory used the plastic ones shown with deluxe belts

5 hours ago, Dtret said:

They put them on a bunch of small block cars. They went 70 mph too. But I do believe, to some degree, that’s a legitimate concern. 

Didn’t they offer it on the SS Chevelles? Automatics only.

1 hour ago, mon-tss said:

Maybe they were the ones used on console put on there.

Factory used the plastic ones shown with deluxe belts

Lyle the ones on the console i have seen a few times, they are cups where the buckle of the seat belt sits in them. Thats not what i seen in his pic.

Lyle i have never seen them on the console (not saying they weren't there), i only seen the cups there. However they or something like them were definitely the ones i seen in the pic on the rear seat!!    Nice pic!!!!

23 hours ago, Dtret said:

Not that many big block "SS" cars would ever use cruise control...... You'd need a trailer to haul the extra gas tank along.

18 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Scott, I have never heard that.  I'm not sure what the difference in putting cruise control on an SS454 would make GM more liable than it would on a 350/402/400.  It does not make any sense.

rob

Hey Rob...

It was a explanation I got from an old Chevy guy years ago when we got talking about my T-Type not being available with a manual transmission. Basically we got into warranty/safety issues that the factory wouldn't install, and the conversation went from there. 

He did say he worked at a G.M. dealership in the '70's..... And seeing as I was much younger then, I was just trying to respect my "elder". ;) 

51 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Not that many big block "SS" cars would ever use cruise control...... You'd need a trailer to haul the extra gas tank along.

I do agree with the statement but in reality the speed limit back then was 55 mph( correct me if I’m wrong Rob, you were in your late thirties early forties 😆😆). A lot of people cruised the interstates at 55 even if they had an SS car because of the lower gear ratios, my 70 SS has 2:56 gears. 

8 hours ago, willie said:

Lyle i have never seen them on the console (not saying they weren't there), i only seen the cups there. However they or something like them were definitely the ones i seen in the pic on the rear seat!!    Nice pic!!!!

After they started requiring shoulder harnesses they switched to the cups on hardtop cars

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

I do agree with the statement but in reality the speed limit back then was 55 mph( correct me if I’m wrong Rob, you were in your late thirties early forties 😆😆). A lot of people cruised the interstates at 55 even if they had an SS car because of the lower gear ratios, my 70 SS has 2:56 gears. 

So banana-man, what did I ever do to you?  rob

:yay:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

So banana-man, what did I ever do to you?  rob

:yay:

lol. I was kidding around but the original thought was banana abuse repayment. 

• Like 1
  • Yay! 2

28 minutes ago, Dtret said:

lol. I was kidding around but the original thought was banana abuse repayment. 

Dennis it's impossible to repay everyone for the banana stuff, you really earned that yourself!!!!  lol    

And we Love you for it!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, willie said:

Dennis it's impossible to repay everyone for the banana stuff, you really earned that yourself!!!!  lol    

And we Love you for it!!!

lol. I know. But I try to get a dig in every once in a while. 

• Like 3