Window gap, can’t install molding for back window

Hello, I’m new to the forum. So I’m trying to install my side window moldings, and there is a big gap between my driver side window and back window. ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome Dan. A partial answer to your question. The molding that goes there is pretty wide. It may take all of that gap. But I do believe the gap between the windows should be even. 

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for the reply!! It seems like, when I put the molding on and try to raise the back window down,  it  wants to knock off the molding. 

Hey Dan Welcome to the club!!!    Per that bottom pic, seams that the door is hanging, i would replace the door hinge bushings first. Then readjust the rear window stops. You have to take off the inside panel first but i think that will solve your problem. I would think the problem is just a needed adjustment.  Someone will chime in to verify but i think that's what you need.

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

2 hours ago, Dan72 said:

Hi. Thanks for the reply!! It seems like, when I put the molding on and try to raise the back window down,  it  wants to knock off the molding. 

When I redid my 72 in 2013 I used and old bicycle inner tube in the metal before putting it on the glass. It was somewhat of a tight fit put it has held the molding in  place since that time. After I had it on the window I just cut the excess off with a razor blade

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Leghome said:

When I redid my 72 in 2013 I used and old bicycle inner tube in the metal before putting it on the glass. It was somewhat of a tight fit put it has held the molding in  place since that time. After I had it on the window I just cut the excess off with a razor blade

I have seen several people using Larry's suggestion.  There is also a part that some vendors sell for this purpose.  It makes a nice tight fit without using any sealant like silicone or something like this.

rob

2 hours ago, Leghome said:

I have the rubber piece that goes in the molding. My concern is when I put the chrome molding on, and then I try to roll down  the back  glass, it’s wanting to pop the molding back off, because it seems like it’s getting stuck.  Where the quarter panel meets.  That gap looks a little wider than the passenger side. I put the molding on the passenger side with no problem. Thanks 

Just a quick question Dan, 

How's the window mechanism working ???

If it's binding or missing bushings, or out of alignment, it may cause the molding to catch....I'm also with Willie on the door issue. That needs an adjustment. 

Scott.

22 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Just a quick question Dan, 

How's the window mechanism working ???

If it's binding or missing bushings, or out of alignment, it may cause the molding to catch....I'm also with Willie on the door issue. That needs an adjustment. 

Scott.

This is the issue I’m having 

image.jpg

Hey Daniel, just looking at the photos you posted... It looks like the mechanism is out of line, either bent or maybe the guides aren't in their slot ?

The glass shouldn't be that tight to one side. 

Have you opened the panel ? The little grate below the window will let you see inside, but you'll have to pull the interior panel to really get at it.

I'm also wondering if the glass is correct..... Assuming that the picture show it all the way rolled up, it looks long/tall to me. Might be that someone just threw something in that worked at the time....... 

There should be a part number in the bottom corner that'll tell for sure.

How this sheds some light on the problem. 

Scott.

Resized_20210924_125201_2107.thumb.jpg.0909ab6ba0844f06fc9410f35ba685d8.jpg Windowetching.thumb.jpg.9f096fbc08db2cc3a17bf99be1b66676.jpg

• Like 1

I agree the window seems to be a little close to the quarter but possibly the trim on the quarter itself is rock hard and not rolling with the window. The trim should be really flexible. 

On 4/27/2024 at 5:26 PM, Dtret said:

Welcome Dan. A partial answer to your question. The molding that goes there is pretty wide. It may take all of that gap. But I do believe the gap between the windows should be even. 

I agree it should be even. It appears that at least 2 adjustments are needed. The quarter glass needs to be raised up in the back or it isn't cranked up all the way. Also, it appears from the photo that the upper door hinge bushings are worn causing the door to sag. You can check that by lifting the door up from the bottom when opened.

• Like 4