big rims and big tires what does it do

i thought about for the last two months are so of putting 22inch or bigger rims on my 72 but some people were telling me that that can do bad things to the tranny is that true or not because i really want some big rims to set me self apart from all the other classic cars were i live. than laugh ks

There are mixed opinions about big rims vs. normal-sized rims. Here are a few things to think about, especially if this is your only transportation:

1) Cost. Big--always more $$$. Tires always more $$$.

2) Your suspension: was not designed for these huge wheels. Unless you can re-engineer the entire system then you don't know what you are changing. One example: kingpin angle typically aimed to minimize scrub angle of tires. Changing this drastically, like by using wheels with different backspacing/offset can be downright dangerous.

3) What is the purpose of them? Impressing others? Prestige? maybe having a really good paint job or some trick cosmetic effects would get as much attention. Most people will find those absurd.

4) Do you ever plan on reselling this car? You severely limit your market if you have on giant wheels.

5) Loss of performance.

6) Aftermarket rims do not have to live up to the same standards as factory rims. There ARE aftermarket rims that are better than factory, but they are expensive. There are also flashy wheels that are expensive. Expensive doesn't mean better, so it's like shooting in the dark unless you know what to look for. Car & Driver (??) did a whole report on how putting bigger wheels on vehicles makes the car less safe and perform worse.

Unless you live in southern california or someplace where classics are all over the place, any nice set of rims will get you some attention. I have 15" Cragar SS forged wheels on my car and have gotten lots of compliments just from keeping them clean.

If you want to impress others, maybe there is another way to do it better.

just one opinion

Will

You will put more strain on the tranny because you will drastically change the drive line. The effect will be similar to going from 4:11 rear gears to 2:56 rear gears. Your car will accelerate slower, your speedo will read way off, and it will take longer to stop the car because of the extra weight of the wheels and tires. The brakes really should be upgraded for this. You will also need to do suspension and maybe body mods to put these on without the tires rubbing on something. For the money this would cost, you could get some very fancy paint and/or engine work done to set yourself apart from the crowd.

You will put more strain on the tranny because you will drastically change the drive line. The effect will be similar to going from 4:11 rear gears to 2:56 rear gears.

confused Please explain this to me:

A 225/70/15 (standard size for our Montes) is 27.4" tall, a 245/30/22 is 27.9" tall

How should things change? I can see a harsher ride and strain on the suspension and you wallet laugh , but no big change in the speedo or acceleration... smile

Personally, I think that rims larger than 18" look out of place on a classic musclecar...

"Personally, I think that rims larger than 18" look out of place on a classic musclecar..."

I would have to agree. I think some muscle cars just don't look right with all that rim. Without modifications i would be surprised if 22's would fit without rubbing. Go another root... my 2 cents

Please explain this to me:

A 225/70/15 (standard size for our Montes) is 27.4" tall, a 245/30/22 is 27.9" tall

If he keeps the over all height of the wheel and tire the same, it will work without too much extra strain on the tranny to get them rolling. I was posting more toward the bigger part of the "putting 22inch or bigger rims." Probably could have been clearer in my original post. Seemed to me he was looking for the biggest wheels he could find just for the look.

• 3 weeks later...

i really want some big rims to set me self apart from all the other classic cars were i live. than laugh ks

I have read all the comments and I really can't comment on the safety issues, tranny issues or suspension issues they have all addressed, but I can address the last statement you made in your post. (see the quote from your post above). This is what I say to that.... You are already setting youself apart from most of the other classic cars where you live, simply by driving your First Generation Monte Carlo. It already tells others you have CLASS and you have GOOD TASTE and that you aren't one to follow the main-stream in the classic car world who drive Chevelle's, Corvette's, and those mopar buggies. Drive that FGMC with pride with its' stock wheels and be proud that you have the good taste to be driving such a fine classic.

Rob

Drive that FGMC with pride with its' stock wheels and be proud that you have the good taste to be driving such a fine classic.

Rob,I could'nt have said it better myself,our Montes are part of the elite. laugh

Rod

fgmcc

Rob,you hit the nail right on the head!!We already have the ULTIMATE combination of class, style,performance and luxury-indeed that alone sets the FGMC apart!In my opinion, save yourself the money and the trouble.But if you do go with it,do your research first so you stay safe with no regrets.Enjoy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I posted. But I think I'm the only person on here with 20 inch rims/tires and thought I'd let you know that I've had my wheels on for 2 years now with no problems. 22's won't fit the front but they will fit in back. I have a 70' that I drove cross country to Cali from GA. I didn't put them on until I got here though. lol!

But if you are like me and only CRUISE in your Monte, I dont think it will be a problem. If you are a daily driver, I recommend no bigger than 18's.

I'd add to that the fact that 20"/22" tires are usable with very skinny tires, like 40's or what?

Now, how do you handle bumps and road discomfort with a 35 or 40 series tire and a stock or relatively stock suspension?

My opinion is stick with the 18" limit as Fuze mentioned... but that's only my opinion

Dave

My opinion is stick with the 18" limit as Fuze mentioned... but that's only my opinion

Well, it's not only your opinion, Dave, but it's one that's shared with others as well - including car magazines that have performed tests. One of the articles I remember seeing (probably at a newsstand a few months ago) generally concluded that it's best to limit aftermarket wheel diameters to 18". Bigger wheels require super-low profile tires which don't provide much protection for wheels against potholes, etc. Another downside is the additional unsprung weight that they add, which puts more stress on the car's suspension components.

A couple of years ago Super Chevy magazine had a series of articles where they did some work on one of their writer's cars, which was a '70 Monte Carlo. There was some good information in those articles, and one of them was a test where handling, ride quality, etc. was rated with different size wheel/tire combos. The car had been retrofitted with a lot of new suspension pieces from Hotchkis and then put through its paces. The overall best performance was achieved when the 17" wheel/tire package they put together was on the car, and they were pleasantly surprised that it still rode nearly as good as when it had the 16" package on it. If I remember right, the 18" package didn't do nearly as well in any category.

Dave