bad welding

Kevin Wiles

Can't seem to weld thick steel to thick steel. If I try, you can simply tap it lightly with a hammer and it comes apart. and when it falls apart you can get a chisel and tap the rest of the crap off the part. its a Lincoln 110 Mig Welder I tried A B C and D settings on the welder, faster and slower wire, more and less argon gas, and I had a very very good ground... and tried for over an hour, redoing it again and again. But I failed. I'm just not getting good penetration. I am using .023 wire which i know is small but Whats up with this?

Are the 2 pieces just carbon steel not HY-80 or HY-100?

What flavor wire are you using?

Are you preping the metal real good? ie brushing/beveling?

Wipe with acetone to get rid of surface contaminants.

If those are not the problem, you may need to pre-heat the two

pieces to get better penetration.

Guest XXXXXXX

Sorta sounds like a case of not enough welder for the task at hand. My 140 amp Snapon welder is powered by 110VAC which severly limits the thickness of the material I can weld. 3/8" is REALLY pushing most 110VAC welders. I would reccoment not trying to weld anything over 1/4" thick. .023 wire is best suited for sheet metal. Step up to .030 for heavier material.

just not enough welder for the job, you can crutch-it by pre-heating, step up to a .030 wire, flux-core wire can weld a little heavier than

another problem I had with mine is not enough power (amps) from the 110 plug, I kept blowing circuit breakers until I wired in a 30 amp circuit and bought a HVY gauge extension cord just for the welder

Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs
Over 100ft start considering voltage drop as well! lol

100" extension on a welder... shocked

Don't do that. Too many issues can pop up fast, none of them end well.

OH! I've seen it done! Nothing surprises me anymore! The almighty extension cord can be misused as well. lol and it's ft' not inches". lol

Originally Posted By: Allan
Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs
Over 100ft start considering voltage drop as well! lol

100" extension on a welder... shocked

Don't do that. Too many issues can pop up fast, none of them end well.

OH! I've seen it done! Nothing surprises me anymore! The almighty extension cord can be misused as well. lol and it's ft' not inches". lol

what are you...some kind of electrician or something??? grin

Ha, apparently not a typer. smile Lazy shift key I suppose.

You don't have to be an electrician to know that when your extension cord is almost as hot as the business end of the welder, there might be a problem.

just a poke at Rod Allan......your typing is way better than mine... grin

I am happy to say that the welder is more than capable! I changed to .035 flux core and it welds so hot I had to turn the heat down !!! Wow what a difference.

Ditto! Its a good welder thats for sure. The cart its on, thats another story. crazylol

Message to all...Coke Machine will be in better shape this time at the East Meet than when it was featured in Super Chevy. grin I told him they need to do an UPDATE Coke machine feature... shockedgrin

I was having a similar problem with mine....my brother-in-law (the electrician) told me to run a dedicated line for the welder from my electrical box. He said with all the connections for outlets in between my garage and the electrical box that I was losing current because the welder draws a lot of amps and was creating to much heat at those connections.

Worked like a charm after that....I have a heavy gauge extension cord that I made but it's only about 10 feet long and I only use it when I absolutely have to.

My 2 cents,

Steve