giggle gas

kc8oye

Does anyone have a rule of thumb, or a tech referene or something.. that relates fuel flow requirements to xx-shot of nitrous? i.e if I wanted 100shot of nitrous, how much additional fuel would I need to keep up with it?

(If I do nitrous, the nitrous kit will have it's own fuel pump and lines)

i shoulda went to the horses mouth to begin with.. from NOS's website (holley)

HP divided by 2 = lb./hr. (pounds per hour)

lb./hr divided by 6 = gallons per hour required (min)

Multiply GPH by 1.15 for safety factor

Example: 600 HP divided by 2 = 300,

300 divided by 6 = 50

50 multiplied by 1.15 = 57.5 (minimum gallons per hour)

(This formula is for gasoline only.)

Wow...that's just about 1oz/sec.

With 600 hp you do the 1/4 in about 11 seconds, so the flow is about 1oz per sec x 11, or about equal to the average college partygoer doing shots.

...and your last.

I have to admit; if I have a separated brother here, it's crazy Davey.

I had my soul removed to make room for all this sarcasm.

that's the fuel required for the nitrous shot alone.. that doesnt include the base fuel the engine is using on it's own.

it actually works out to about 10 gallons / hour for every 100 shot of nitrous.

so my second fuel pump needs to be able to flow 10gph @ 7psi while the nitrous system is active. that's easy enough.

Timmay, on three of my cars I use a simple system. A Holley Black pump with the old style fender mounted regulator. One outlet goes to the carb, the other the fuel solenoid. I keep fuel pressure guages on all three. Auto Meter electrics. I set the fuel pressure to 8.5 pounds and spray away. I have run as much as a 250 on that setup with no issues. Just don't forget the hobbs switch incase you lose fuel pressure.

Andy

10gph for the 100 hp nitrous shot + the 5 gph for what your engine puts out now... wink

Wait, are you serious? The fuel flow calcs are for the nitrous side only? I just figured from your example that we were determining total output. 600hp sounds like a pretty big shot...

If only I had forged pistons.

yeah there are people spraying 600+hp shots.. obviously, my engine won't tolerate that.. I have a stock cast bottom end with forged pistons.. so I gotta take it easy smile

plus you could take a hit yourself and get your teeth done..... grin

automotive grade nitrous will make you very sick and/or kill you if you try to sniff it.. it's got Sulphur Dioxide I think it is in it.. to deter you from doing that!

Andy: I got a cool fuel tank from Leo.. it's sumped, with two AN-8 fittings in the sump smile I figure I'll put the tank in, and continue using the stock pickup for now.. I'll use one of the sump pickups for the nitrous. .and then when I can afford a 20 ft length of AN-8 hose, I'll switch the primary fuel system over to it as well smile

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
plus you could take a hit yourself and get your teeth done..... grin

automotive grade nitrous will make you very sick and/or kill you if you try to sniff it.. it's got Sulphur Dioxide I think it is in it.. to deter you from doing that!

so that's why my breath smells like burnt matches...... eek

i'll agree with you there on the cost scott!! I know my buddy at the speed shop sells that too smile i'm going to be seeing a lot of him picking up all the used nitrous goodies I'll need.. smile

i'm trying to do this on the cheap.. even it comes out costing mroe then a complete kit.. it's easier for me to get it one piece at a time :>

We have ran more than a 250 shot on forged pistons,stock crank and rods and be reliable, but the tune up has to be right. On my race team we use Cold Fusion Nitrous stuff. They are very affordable and knowledgeable. I haven't ever tried it but I've been told if you run the automotive grade Nitrous threw water it will get the sulfur out.Also most race stuff or street cars only run one pump and fuel line to the front. We also run the push lock fuel lines for there cost,reliability, and ease of use. TYDO+TEAM+copy+copy.jpg

TYDO++Hero++Card++LAST+new+bkgrd+tree+co

Guest 72yellowmc,Robyn

Nitrous if for the ones that can't get their cars to perform right .... it's just a band - aid .... now for the really fast boys (7 sec cars) they have to use it to stay competitive with there other high priced companions. crazy not picking on you at all Tim ..... I've seen it all the time at my local track .... there car won't run the number they think it should so they throw a little nitrous at it, then they get greedy and try to add a little more and guess what KABOOM !!!!!!! and I never see them again at the track. frown

You make it sound as if no one runs a motor designed for the intent purpose of running NOS. In heads up racing you have to run a power adder. It just so happens Nitrous is the cheapest one. I've been running it for 15 years and nothing has went BOOM. Some say maybe I'm not trying hard enough LOL. But I know I can only get one pass in the 1/4 on a bottle if I try to run it again it will run out by the 1000ft mark. So I'd say it's getting sprayed fairly heavy smile

Nitrous if for the ones that can't get their cars to perform right .... it's just a band - aid .... now for the really fast boys (7 sec cars) they have to use it to stay competitive with there other high priced companions. crazy not picking on you at all Tim ..... I've seen it all the time at my local track .... there car won't run the number they think it should so they throw a little nitrous at it, then they get greedy and try to add a little more and guess what KABOOM !!!!!!! and I never see them again at the track. frown

It's ran a 8.73 at 157mph on a easy 1.36 60ft. on radials. (the car weighs 3350lbs)I've been a 1.31 '60 on a 295 radial. I've broken the 12 bolt once and being laid off work I don't really want to break it again. I'd like to get my Fab 9 housing in it to be able to pour some more steam to her but I really can't afford the 5K it will cost me to finish the rear end. So for the time being I'm happy cruising in the Monte smile

we were running 7.75 in the quarter no nitrous last year, but this year rules changed in our class, so to qualify we have to add a 150-200 shot to qualify at 7.60 or better. there is nothing wrong with running nitrous as long as you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

our 565ci motor is already running on the edge. but rhye-morrisson says we can spray up to 250-300 and the motor will handle it as long as we tune it correctly. have not gone that high yet.

it all come down to tuning your motor for the nitrous, do it right and you'll have a pretty cheap/ reliable power adder.

so go for it.

SWEET !!! What class you run that in ? And whats the cool Monte in the picture run ?

we were running 7.75 in the quarter no nitrous last year, but this year rules changed in our class, so to qualify we have to add a 150-200 shot to qualify at 7.60 or better. there is nothing wrong with running nitrous as long as you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

our 565ci motor is already running on the edge. but rhye-morrisson says we can spray up to 250-300 and the motor will handle it as long as we tune it correctly. have not gone that high yet.

it all come down to tuning your motor for the nitrous, do it right and you'll have a pretty cheap/ reliable power adder.

so go for it.