Installing a Console?

SS Haze

Has anyone every put a console into a non-console car? I'm not seriously considering it at this time, but I was just curious. I have a 70 SS auto-trans with buckets. I'm trying to keep the car 'original' but w/o a console, the interior looks incomplete. Has anyone made this switch? Pro's/Con's?

Mike

June06-Cars019.jpg

Mike I did the whole switch from bench seat to buckets. Would have to drill a hole in the tunnel and put the metal tabs on the tunnel for the console to bolt to. Other items would be the harness for the console which runs the safety switch and back up lights.

Boy, that's a tough one. Just because it's unique, doesn't make it desirable. If perhaps, you had special-ordered the only Dodge Daytona or Superbird with a slant-six and push button automatic, would it be worth more than a Hemi daytona 4spd just because it was one-of-a-kind?

I don't think adding a console will hurt the value. When someone looks inside the car, he's probably tired of hearing:"Where's the console?".

You kind of expect it to be there. If it were me, I'd add the console and shifter, but keep the original steering column.

Here is a good picture of what goes into the floor before you drop in a console:

DSC01255.jpg

leo can get you everything you need, including the console. We can also modify your existing column into a floor shift type if you want...

Davey and Wallaby hit the issue exactly. It is unique, buckets and a column shifter. I do hear "where's the console". And if I a choice, I think the console looks much better. I do remember a time in my youth that a console was not very convenient when we go to the drive-in smile It's still down on the bottom of the list of the things I might like to do. I got a long list of things that have to be done.

oh yeah, wallaby, that picture is scary.

I went through the same quandry with my SS. Mine had bench seat /column shift and I put in a set of buckets. It does leave a large area that looks unfinished.

I built myself a log tapered box that fits in that gap and upholstered it to match. I kept the column shift. I have to admit, the factory console and horsehoe shifter is a better looking piece, but at least I have something in that gap and a place to set things down. I tried to be clever about it and even housed a subwoofer in my box.

Prowl the wrecking yards and I bet you can find a decent-looking center assembly with cup holders and everything. If you want to convert to floor shifter, then it gets more involved.

I do remember a time in my youth that a console was not very convenient when we go to the drive-in smile

gotta love bench seats........

• 2 weeks later...
boy Mike, an SS with buckets and a column shift, that has to be a very rare car!!!! I'd leave it like that......Davey

Capri has one like that, 1971.