Rear End overhaul progress

TN454Monte

Okay, some more progress pictures to post. Kara sent these over to me today, the rear end housing is finished up and will be going back in this weekend with a little luck.

This part of the project got a "little" more involved that I had wanted, but we found out that the Ring and Pinion gears were not installed correctly last spring, (some-one is getting paid a visit when I get home...they ain't going to be happy to see me either) after only a few hundred miles they were pitted and not worth reusing. The left axle was grooved as well so they both got replaced with a new set of Moser Heavy Duty non C-Clip eliminators.

So it got all new gears, new axles, new brakes and lines, seals and heck while I'm at it I might as well do with the POS made in china chrome cover as well...it's only money right? Yeaaaaaah right.

prior to assembly, fresh out of the tank and after being painted

rear-end-012.jpg

rear-end-014.jpg

New Moser cover:

rear-end-021.jpg

rear-end-013.jpg

New Ring and Pinion gear to replace the one that had been put in wrong last year and was damaged *sigh* rear-end-017.jpg

Rear disc brakes being installed:

rear-end-020.jpg

rear-end-019.jpg

Man, that sure is pretty! Is that the brake kit that people were talking about on the forum a while back? The one with the Caddy calipers? Good choice on the cover, I like the Moser one the best--very clean looking.

Man, that sure is pretty! Is that the brake kit that people were talking about on the forum a while back? The one with the Caddy calipers? Good choice on the cover, I like the Moser one the best--very clean looking.

Thanks man, on the brake kit, this is the 4 wheel disc conversion kit for the A-body from Right-Stuff Detailing. I ordered it from Leo.

Looking good. I might being doing mine soon, gotta check it out. Last year when I put my car away it was making some awful howling... eek

Looking good. I might being doing mine soon, gotta check it out. Last year when I put my car away it was making some awful howling... eek

Well even if it needs a rebuild...I hope you got a 'few' more miles out of yours than I did mine Bill...replacing a ring and pinion set after less than a year...*SIGH*

man I sure wish I could get my rearend overhauled.... grin

really....looks great Greg....you should have them weld the axle tubes while they're at it.....Davey

Yea good luck with that Davey.

Looks great Greg, she's really coming together now.

Looking real nice Greg.

Only problem I can think of is that I think, like me, you live off of a gravel road and all that pretty undercarriage work will be dusty in no time :-(. Sorry, didn't mean to be a buzz kill. Again, it looks real nice. - Dave

I told you , just like Dave said....it's going to be too pretty to drive.... grin

those guys are going all out, that's so cool Greg after all you've been through. can't wait 'till they stuff the motor in....

Looking real nice Greg.

Only problem I can think of is that I think, like me, you live off of a gravel road and all that pretty undercarriage work will be dusty in no time :-(. Sorry, didn't mean to be a buzz kill. Again, it looks real nice. - Dave

Thanks, and you're right, I'm actually considering putting it in storage rather then having it get all chipped up on my gravel road.

They have arrived. New Moser axles, c-clip eliminators, and studs. Never used screw in studs, but everyone says they are better. I also got the alumn cover with the bearing support.

I know, pictures. Later