496 Build progress photos

TN454Monte

There is a differeance between the mounts on the motor. When we first dropped our big block in the El Camino we grab a set of mounts for a small block and it would not work for the El Camino but yet it did for the Nomad. There is something different about them as they have different part #'s.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg....never...ever trust guys selling used headers..... no

as far as I know there is no difference between small and big block motor mounts or frame mounts 68-72 A body....only 64-67 Chevelles had different sizes.....Davey

yeah!! 'specially if he drive a shovelle! crazy

"Greg, you should have shot me a note, I could have told you what to do with the pump months ago. I had a similar issue but that was fixed when I went with the tru-trac serpentine system. I did end up going with the remote reservoir on top of that, mostly because I liked more billet. smile

The one caution is that the relative solid steering shaft and a type II pump, it will make a lot of noise"

Allan, did you reuse the Uni-Steer pump and just a remote tank? I haven't ordered the Pump from March just yet, so there is time if there's a trick to be had to make that pump work with a March Performance pulley system I'd like to hear about it.

As far as Noise goes, there's a Pete Jackson gear drive lurking under that front timing cover... grin

Next trip home is tentatively scheduled for June, My HR department is working on getting a temp over here so I can take vacation.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just a picture posting fool today !! grin

Okay a little forward progress here, not much to report, things are moving a little slower right now but ...they are moving. The seats are now out and work is movig towards the electrical wiring and dash.

Here's Pictures of new Power Steering pump, and 140 Amp Alternator, and you can see just the corner of the new Hooker Headers in the one picture installed:

Carb and plumbing will be going in soon.

Bracket-pictures-009.jpg

Bracket-pictures-011.jpg

Bracket-pictures-013.jpg

Dave, thanks, I'll keep that in mind for my next project. So much technology now days. Watching the races and people have 406s, 355, 383s, 496s, 572s, and the list goes on. I really lost out on all this stuff for all those years in the service. Never had time to play around with it. Last performance car I had before the Monte was a 62 Biscayne w/454 in it.

Dave, thanks, I'll keep that in mind for my next project. So much technology now days. Watching the races and people have 406s, 355, 383s, 496s, 572s, and the list goes on. I really lost out on all this stuff for all those years in the service. Never had time to play around with it. Last performance car I had before the Monte was a 62 Biscayne w/454 in it.

yeah I've had to catch up on a lot the past few months, it just come with some time on forums and the internet. My next build will probably be a 548 with the stroker using a Big M Dart block. I already have the stuff lined up for when I'm ready to pull the trigger, depends how much longer the money holds out eek

The top end kit I'm getting now is spec'd so it will transfer over to the new block and then I'll have a complete 548...

Looks great Greg. Sorry I missed your questions above. The new job doesn't let me spend as much time here.

That March pump is PURDY.

Hey those headers, are they the 2" primary, 3 1/2" collectors?

Allan, yes 2" primaries, and 3.5" at the collectors; they required modification to the flange for the power steering pump and one tube to fit.

Thanks for to comments everyone!

just beautiful.

I don't recall, what are your power expectations?

Missed this ..sorry Jake. Ball park figure I'm guesstimating 500 - 520 at the flywheel.

Washing all my numbers through the Comp Cams simulator software came out to 540 roughly, but a lot of us have tinkered with that and think perhaps Comp is a little generous with the numbers it spits out.

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask this, does anyone have a Comp Cams installed AND a dyno run?

It'd be interesting to see if the numbers the simulator is spitting out come close to what a real world motor has put out for numbers...

Greg it's probably a little light in the cam department but if it doesn't make at least 600hp send it back!!! I've seen builds very similar that have dyno sheets of 620-650.....

• 2 weeks later...

A few more pictures of some of the progress ...

The interior is out now, and they are working on the wiring harness. But there's really not much to see there, it's an empty car but the old dash is still there so I'm not going to bore you with pictures of my old dirty carpet...LOL.

The steering shaft is in now, as well as the power-steering lines, however, we had to order a new universal joint from Uni-Steer, looks like the last shop hammered on the old one? It was beat up pretty bad so we had to get a new one.

You can see where it looks like they smacked it with a hammer or something below.

Monte-hood-017.jpg

The new joint showed up Friday but it isn't in yet, he's doing that, and plumbing the fuel lines and electric pump this weekend he said.

And those Valve covers I was so worried about ....fit! yay

There is 1 1/2 Inch clearance between the corner of the cover and the master cylinder.

Monte-hood-014.jpg

Monte-hood-011.jpg