496 Build progress photos

TN454Monte

Honestly guys, the more I look at this ...the less I like it.

It's okay *I guess* ...and it'll work...but... I am just not real pleased with the dual lines snaking up over the manifold like that...

Yeah I know picky, picky, picky!

So I looked into an Aeromotive Fuel log with built in regulator and gauge...

aei-17248_17249_w.jpg

479 Bucks...OUCH...but I might have to pull the trigger on it, I just don't know if I care much for how this looks...

Your opinions?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that will work for me Davey, I need that regulator and the one Aermotive supplied with my kit is a dual outlet...that one I posted a picture of has the regulator built into the log itself...

it's mounted on the outlet side of the cool can....if your not using one of those guys mount them on the fenderwell..I've seen guys fab a bracket off the front of the carb or intake as well....

Asking our opinion about how your engine looks is kinda like asking if your jeans look good from behind.

Fortunately, we're not married to each other, so I can give an honest opinion. LOL

I studied those photos and yes; it was the routing of the braided lines that stood out. I was wondering if it was necessary to use both outlets on the regulator? Can't you just plug one outlet and run the other through a gizmo like Dave has?

Greg, I am glad you said it first and I agree with you comment about the fuel lines, sorry. They are not to my liking but of course "my liking" in your engine doesn't matter. Pics below show a 8 AN fuel log coming off a 6 AN fuel supply line so yours would be different but I think a fuel log setup would be your best solution from a regulator. Otherwise, engine is coming along nicely grin. - Dave

IMG00172-20100607-1503.jpg

IMG00170-20100607-1502.jpg

Oh-Kay...well I'm glad to know I wasn't just being nit picky...

Thanks for the inputs guys I appreciate it.

I wondered the same thing Mark, can I just plug one port on the regulator?

I'll call Aeromotive and see, I don't see why not, the regulator isn't (to my knowledge) putting out a different PSI on each port, so would think I could plug one, then just run a single line to a fuel log like Davey's.

The Aeromotive log I posted has certainly got some "cool points" behind it as well but DANG at 479 dollars...they' proud of that thing that's for sure.

Greg, yes, you can always plug some of the output holes on the regulator if they are not needed. Not all regulators are return style. That being said, an extra output hole should not be used as a return line. The regulator needs to be "return line" ready in order to have a return setup done properly.

I also looked at those Aero, Mallory, and Holley fuel logs. You are right, they must be pretty proud of their work based on the price tag. I have a PRC and it is slide adjustable for all types of carbs. Mine was $80. It basically is the same as the one Davey has, just different materials. Good luck with your decisions. - Dave

• 4 months later...

Okay, here are some updated pictures of the 496 as of 28 Dec. Not a lot new to see, but the new Aeromtoive fuel log is mounted, and the tank, pump, and lines are done out back, and we should be able to finish the plumbing of it up front before I get on the plane.

With the wiring harness still not completed, it's doubtful I will get to the point we can actually fire the 496 before I leave which is a bummer of sorts, I was really hoping to hear this thing run.

I actually got to see the car in person, grin and it's coming along, very slowly but it is coming, the dash is in, I'll put those pictures up soon, and I am going up today to try to test fit the new console and do some work on the front clip, core support etc.

PICT0375.JPG

PICT0380.JPG

PICT0381.JPG

A shot of the Ricks sumped tank and fuel pump plumbed in.

PICT0378.JPG