496 Build progress photos

TN454Monte

Okay, hot of the camera folks...here are some updated pictures as the 496 build is wrapping up.

Should have more next week of the car itself. The Dash went up to the shop today, so with a little luck we'll finally be seeing how that RT 66 Dash fits and looks inside a car.

rear-end-and-block-012.jpg

rear-end-and-block-011.jpg

rear-end-and-block-010.jpg

rear-end-and-block-009.jpg

rear-end-and-block-008.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Greg.

Whats the estimated HP gonna be on it?

I'd tell but then I'd have to kill you. grin

J/K when I did all of the parts selections and what not I was shooting for 500 HP with no power adders like N02

Comp Cams HP calculator matching the cam specs as closely as possible (I'm using a Lunati Vodoo) came out to 540 HP.

Most everyone myself included seemed to think Comp was being a little generous with their numbers so I am hedging on the low side and saying I might be just shy of 500 or maybe a few ticks above it but for all intent and purposes I am saying it has 500 even.

The shop I am using doesn't have a dyno, so I wont know for sure until such time I can take it to a chassis dyno and see what it does.

very nice Greg, I can't remember your compression spec but if it's at least 10 you will be north of 500 for sure.

One thing I noticed though....it's upside down and the pan is dented......

Ok, and what heads are those? They look rectangular, but the exhaust is square-ish.

What Voodoo did you use?

Nothing is sacred here, you can share. smile

Ok, and what heads are those? They look rectangular, but the exhaust is square-ish.

What Voodoo did you use?

Nothing is sacred here, you can share. smile

Oh boy, this is a bit of a tale and at the risk of over-sharing... but here goes....

When I started this whole saga, I had originally intended on making an early 70's LS6 based set up, so Those are Casting number 14096188 / GM cast iron service replacement heads for an LS6. I found them brand new on E-bay still in the boxes.

They've been built given a three angle valve job, and full porting and polishing, with Manley severe duty stainless valves 2.19 Intake / 1.88 Exhaust.

Last fall, before the build began, I also had found an LS6 4 bolt block, or so I thought, it was an LS6 okay, but when it arrived from Washington state, it was so badly damaged that it was unusable, and I had to return it. Rather than keep delaying the project and searching for a 4 bolt block, I opted to use the 2 bolt block I had and forgo any plans for Nitrous.

As if that wasn't enough aggravation, After that fiasco, I ended up in a horse trade where my 1978 2 bolt long block which we found out during tear down, had already been bored out 60, which the previous owner umm *forgot* to tell me, couldn't be used with my stoker kit, so that engine went to my machine shop, and they replaced that with another 2 bolt main in exchange for some extra machine work on the heads and a little credit towards machining fees.

Since the LS6 idea went south I then changed the Cam Set up and opted to go hydraulic rather than the solid set up in the LS6.

As far as the cam itself goes it is a Hydraulic flat tappet Lunati Voodoo:

* Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 276/284

* Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 233/241

* Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .554/.572

* LSA/ICL: 110/106

* Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd

* RPM Range: 2200-6400

* Includes: Cam Kit

Part Number: 60204LK

It's Mated with heavy duty Lunati Springs, and 1.7 Lunati roller rockers.

The rest of it the build is made up of 18 CC Domed pistons from Speed pro, Forged H-Beam Scat rods and Crank, and a Pete Jackson Gear drive. The combo yields just a tad over 11:1 Compression. 11.20:1 to be exact.

The Manifold will be a Weiand Stealth Dual Plane topped off by a Holley 870 CFM carb. I'm reusing my MSD set up to provide the sparks.

Just a note, my entire cam intake and carb combo can be bought as a kit from Summit, and if memory serves me it came in at under 800.00. It's a nice combo for the money IMO.

Behind the 496 is a rebuilt TH 350 with internals from TCI and a reverse full manual valve body, the guy doing the build built mine identical to the one he uses in a pro stock vette he owns that runs in the low 10's on motor only, and says he's run it for over 12 seasons with out so much as a whimper.

The back end is set up with Richmond gears, 3.73:1 and an Eaton 3 series Posi.

Hell for all I know this thing wont be able to get out of it's own way...course it couldnt really when I bought it either so that's nothing new...LOL.

It sounds pretty sensible to me. I like that you're leaning towards torque production. If it were mine, I'd be concerned with that big compression number, but geez....if you can find fuel for that thing it will pull like a freight train.

your compression won't be 11:1, a lot closer to 10:1, I'll do some math, what head gasket thickness are you using, and do you know how far the pistons are in the hole? (deck height)

I'm running real close to 12:1 with 40cc domes and 119cc chambers with the pistons "up" .005 and a .040 thick head gasket

I come-up with 10.25 with zero deck height, and a .041 thick head gasket, and 18cc domes, 4.310 bore, and 4.25 stroke

• 3 weeks later...

A little progress to share: Here are some shots of the Motor going in the car, we hit a sang with the passenger side motor mount, the inner mount that attaches to the frame itself was never swapped out, and is preventing the header form going in, so I have to order the correct mounts but it's almost in.....almost.

Those other valve covers are not clearing the booster either so these are the ones I ended up with for now.... frown

Block-in-car.jpg

front-of-block.jpg

covers.jpg

And oh in case any one catches it...that vette in the background sports a 600+ CID Pro stock build Big Block, It turns 9's on motor only...I'm bugging Eulon to let me take it for a spin when I am home but so far .....he's not budging ?? I cant even Wonder why....

And oh in case any one catches it...that vette in the background sports a 600+ CID Pro stock build Big Block

I spotted it, is it a 63? It kinda looks like there is a divider in the back window but it's hard to tell.

Oh, I like the tank...your car is looking more and more like a race car.

Okay I wanted to put up a little clarification here on what's going on with the motor mounts, and various other items and snags we've run into this week. A lessons learned if you will.

I got some of the original information second hand via my wife who relays a lot of stuff, so there was some things she didn't quite get right, which caused even more uncertainty.

I talked to Eulon, Unisteer, March Performance, Summit...all at length yesterday, and my biggest hurdles to clear right now is the headers and the power steering pump.

I had bought a set of used Doug's Header PN D313, those headers will not clear aftermarket lower control arms on the A bodies.

Since they cleared in a car with stock control arms, I didn't see a problem using them with aftermarket ones but there it is. The number 2 tube from the front of the header will not clear the SPC lower control arm, on the passenger side, not with out a lot of 'massaging' or having it cut and re routed.

To add a little confusion when the old 454 came out the previous owner had put it in and re used the Small block mounts, and a series of shims and bolts to make up the difference leading us to think that the frame pad itself might have been different from what a small block and big block car uses. I mean who swaps a motor out and DOESN'T change the mounts?!?! This is not the case after calling around to SUmmit Jegs and some other places, I found out the frame pad mounts are the same for either a big block or small block equipped car, only the mounts themselves differ.

The car now has the correct big block mounts installed and that is how the engine will sit.

Unfortunately, This pad question in turn started questions about if the valve covers I have will clear the booster as if the the motor orientation were to change too much they wouldn't clear.

The valve cover question, was answered by the frame mount pad discovery, we think they will clear after all, we're going to test fit them here in the next couple of days, but we're pretty sure that they will fit, Kara misunderstood what Eulon was trying to tell her, and it simply got relayed to me that "the covers aren't going to fit".

Okay next item; The Unisteer Rack and Pinion pump included in thier kit will not mate up with the March Serpentine Pulley system I have.

March has the correct pumps, you can go one of two different ways the Part numbers are MCH-9600 For 300.00 or you can get a P-304 for 179.00 Either one will work.

Where I ran into a problem here is ..since I'm running an electric water pump, the electric water pump kit from March changes the configuration of the March brackets away from stock...March Performance doesn't mention this on their website. Unfortunately, the Unitsteer needed the stock bracket locations. So the pump has to be replaced by one from March that will mate up to the brackets.

Then came in a question of if the new pump hydraulic pressure was going to be compatible with the Rack and Pinon itself, and so that required a call to Unisteer to see if I needed to regulate the pressure of the pump.

The answer there is No. The A-body kit from Unisteer is a Highvolume / high pressure set up, and does not require the pump pressure to be regulated.

So lessons learned here, hope that anyone doing a similar set of mods can benefit...

Greg....never...ever trust guys selling used headers..... no

as far as I know there is no difference between small and big block motor mounts or frame mounts 68-72 A body....only 64-67 Chevelles had different sizes.....Davey