496 Build progress photos

TN454Monte

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty nice looking Greg...going to be a shame to cover all that up with fenders and stuff.... wink

I know...Hey maybe were on to something here...I'll chop the top off of here, put in a hinged windshield and make the worlds only 72 Chebby T-bucket !! shifter

Now the question is: can you remove the valve cover with the engine in there? It would kinda be a bummer if you had to unbolt the master cyl & booster to adjust valves.

But boy, it sure looks purdy!

Looks wicked with no fenders... cool

I see the headers are black, at what point did you change the color and why?...if you mentioned it before I must of missed it or just forgot.

Looks wicked with no fenders... cool

I see the headers are black, at what point did you change the color and why?...if you mentioned it before I must of missed it or just forgot.

Bill, Those silver ones were Dougs Ceramic, that came out of a 67 Chevelle, unfortunately ...they were a no-go, as the number 2 tube on the P-side which on that particular style header runs almost next to the first tube rather than behind it, & it wouldn't clear the lower control arm.

So... I had to change them and went with the Hooker Super Comp with 2 inch primaries....

Thanks Royce, the credit is all due to Eulan, the guy I found in KY who is doing the work, I'm just the idjut throwing money at it. nutz

Yes those are then GMPP valve covers..If memory serves, (it been almost 18 months now since I bought them), I got them at Summit.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay folks, another round of updates...Here's some updated pictures of the fuel system to feed the 496.... yay

The Aeromotive Fuel pump is mounted and the lines are being run, we're making a bracket for the regulator in the engine compartment, and the new Holly 870 carb is now installed but not yet hooked up....

With any luck... we're not too far away from the initial firing, redoing the exhaust and all the re-fabrication that entailed gobbled up over a week, and the wiring harness is still yet to be done as is the dash. The rear suspension and all the brake work is done, with the exception of putting the BMR Rear sway bar in but that wont happen until he is ready to take the car off the stands.

New-Fuel-pump-and-exhaust-004.jpg

New-Fuel-pump-and-exhaust-007.jpg

New-Fuel-pump-and-exhaust-014.jpg

Quote:
Looks like you really found a good guy this time. Almost as good as doing it yourself

Honestly Allan, I couldn't do better myself, not in the fabrication or in knowledge departments, I don't have the skills. That I'll freely admit, this guy is a very talented mechanic IMHO.

Quote:
Now, I know your situation and in no way am trying to denigrate you having to have someone build it for you. I think you know that.

Thanks, I did do some work ...a little...LOL, and I plan on doing a majority of my interior work after the Dash goes in as well..but if I didn't farm this stuff out that I'm doing now this project would drag on for a lot longer than it has.

I can at least claim some of the 496 planning, with of course, Ulan's and Kurts Guidance. And I did put the springs and valves into the LS6 heads, although Kurt looked at me rolled his eyes heavenward when I dropped them off and said.."Well Wha' ya go an' do that fer...I'm jus' gonna rip em back out". laugh

At this point...18 months since I last ran it, I just want to drive the thing...get in, turn the key, put it in Gear and drive....I'm impatient like that....LOL.

Greg, your car is coming together very nicely. I bet a cool dollar you can't wait to get her on the road. - Dave

• 1 month later...

Okay folks, a little bit more to see...sorry for being so long between updates, there's been some things going on that have sort of slowed the build down, but there are a few little things getting done.

One item is, The drive-shaft was replaced, I don't really have any pictures of that,(sorry again) not real glamorous anyhow I guess, but I decided to go on the safe side and put a new shaft in.

Anyhow, here are some shots of the new fuel lines hooked up with the regulator, and....the interior tear down has started... so I just threw those in for good measure...since you're all such picture hounds anyhow... there ya go, mo' pictures!! grin

It's Splice and dead end wire city under that dash from what I am hearing...I sort of had an idea it had been hacked up, but I guess it's worse than I had originally thought, frown so it's all coming out, a new 18 Circuit Fuse-box put back in and all new wiring throughout the car will be put in, once that's done, new carpet and the RT-66 Dash will go in to replace my old stuff.

After that, the roll bar goes in, and the front end will go back on ..and for this year I think I will wrap things up...

We're pressing hard to have it ready by September now, don't know if that can be achieved or not, I'm due home 10/1 for vacation. (I can't believe it's been 12 months since I made it home last...madness!!) mad

With any luck....I want to run at the Bristol Dragway Street fights on the 9th or the 12th...we'll see.

Okay I've babbled enough....here ya go...

Fuel-line-pics-009.jpg

Fuel-line-pics-007.jpg

Fuel-line-pics-010.jpg

Pics of starting the Interior Tear down

Fuel-line-pics-013.jpg

Lookin' great Greg...won't be long now. When are they going to fire that puppy up? Kara's gotta shoot some vid of that.....Davey

Ya know Davey...I've tried to predict a time line on this thing all summer, and I'm an abject failure at it .... I've come to the brutal realization that my crystal ball must be a cheap Chinese knock off that is sadly pretty much worthless...So I quit!

I give up trying to set a time line, at this rate.. I might, heck, probably will be shooting the initial fire up video my self...