need some wisdom on my rachet shifter.

mymontesa70

So i feel like anything to do with my tranny is pretty important, now keep in mind i did go through all the older post on floor shift installation. lots of good advice. Im still confused on stuff like the column lock, they say to put it in the up most right position? im not even sure where to find it , do i have to tear apart my column?. Also it sure is scary laying under a car on jack stands and shifting the car manually from underneath to set the cable. I guess i thought this would be a lot easier after reading all the post but i struggled with it. Not to mention trying to feed lock washers and nuts that are in between the tranny and the tunnel ! my goodness i would literally kill for a garage..seriously, that class 5 driveway you see in the picture is where all my work gets done. Anyways after a long winded rant on here and most my afternoon im just about done, the only real thing thats keeping me from finishing is that column lock situation. any advice? is it super important? they sure stress it in the instructions.

Im still confused on stuff like the column lock, they say to put it in the up most right position? im not even sure where to find it , do i have to tear apart my column?. Anyways after a long winded rant on here and most my afternoon im just about done, the only real thing thats keeping me from finishing is that column lock situation. any advice? is it super important? they sure stress it in the instructions.

From what I can remember when I did mine I just put it in "park", most "up"right position then removed the lever...never did I go into the column.

You will probably want to wire tie the linkage in the up position as well. On the engine side of the firewall, there should be a linkage point on the column up near the firewall. Once that is up as far as it will go, just zip tie it to something that will keep it from moving down even slightly. This is what I had to do on the El Camino. - Dave

... they say to put it in the up most right position?

I'm guessing here, but do they mean "upmost"?

I read it a couple of ways, and it gets confusing if you try to get it in the up most-right position. LOL

here is what im talking about...STEP 1. Remove the stock shift linkage;

Column Shifters: Remove all rods,

levers or cables from the column and

the transmission. Place the column

shift lever in the Park position. Remove

the pin holding the shift lever in the

column and remove the lever assembly.

If your vehicle is equipped with a

locking steering column, secure the

column lock lever in the full up position.

WARNING: This allows the steering

wheel to be locked and ignition key

removed WHENEVER the ignition key

is turned to the “lock” position WHILE

THE VEHICLE IS MOVING, OR AT

ANY OTHER TIME.

so far on this install ive done the same as bill ill zip teh linkage too hopefully ill be alright.

If you do not use the column shifter any longer you should be cetain to put a neautral saftey switch in your new ratchet shifter . With out adding that feature the car would start in any gear because you are locking the original saftey feature in park ( start position ) permanently .

• 2 weeks later...

OK here's the scoop on what they are talking about. The column needs to be kept in the park position because when it slips down in say the reverse or any other position other than park you can't turn the key to full off and remove it, follow me? On the engine bay side of the column is a 3 inch ear the shift linkage to the tranny hooks to and when you place the tranny in park it moves that ear up and moves the upper column sleeve to allow you to turn the key to full off. Just secure that 3 inch ear all the way in it's upward travel because if it slips down you won't get the key to full off.

Allen I think you missed our point totally. The housing on the column between the ignition housing and the dash rotates with the shift linkage on a floor shift car via a rod from the trans linkage and the ear on the lower column as pictured above. When you go to a aftermarket shifter the rod is removed and that ear is left hanging in the breeze and when it rotates down the housing on the column rotates down also and prevents the switch from turning to lock or accessory.

Just installed a quarter stick hurst shifter in the Monte. I'm wondering if I pull the column shifter out, what's to keep in a position so I can still lock the steering wheel? Following this tread brought some questions I had to light. Thanks in advance.

I just used a big black tie wrap to hold it in position tie it to the brake booster bracket and use black so it doesn't jump out at you like a white one would.