Tachometer placement

wallaby

if you mount the tach in the right place on the column, it won't move.

as for the monster tach's... AutoGauge does make an 8000 rpm monster tach too.

i like the 5" tach because I can read it at a glance.. when I'm busy driving.

where it's mounted, it's right in the corner of my line of sight out the window so I only have to glance a little off to the side to see it smile

Yea....I know. If I clamp onto the column closer to the steering wheel it won't rotate when I shift gears. The problem is that to get the tach to reside in front of the clock area, I'd have to use some long, curved bracket to get around the shifter that DOES move when I shift.

I don't want to drill any holes.

Yesterday I made myself a block that matches the curve of the column on the bottom, and matches the curve of the Tach on the top. (small part, big labor). I can mount the tach directly to the column now, without using a big hose clamp....if I decide that's what I want to do. I found that if I put it a little left of center, it only blocks my view of the brake light. The speedo, gas guage and PRNDL window are in clear sight. Now I just need to decide if my arm is going to be in the way. LOL

I have found that my method of holding the steering wheel blocks even the speedometer. I have to kinda release my grip on the wheel and rotate my hand to view my speed. (sound familiar?)

Let's see...my left arm rests in the open window, and my right arm holds the wheel at about the 11 O'clock position... That stupid arm of mine blocks my view of a lot of dashboard.

It's amazing how many factors come into play when doing a "simple" tachometer install. Next time I'll just mount it to the front of my helmet. LOL

98062w.jpg

All done. I relocated it to the more traditional location on the steering column.

Here is the part I made to make it possible:

001.jpg

Here's how it looked on my mock-up:

002-2.jpg

And here it is installed:

003-1.jpg

005.jpg

well how boring is that? LOL

j/k.. looks good mark.

i plan to race time trials and auto-x with the monte.. so I have other criteria in mind sometiems smile that's why the tach is where it's at.. so I can see it out of the corner of my eye.. there is no missing that shift light smile

Got one dont use it.when racing if you got the guy beat shift sooner if not hold the pedal to the floor until car stops going faster then shift (no brainer)lol Mine is mounted under ash tray area like Tims all it takes is a glance dont need to stare at it(it's called multi-tasking) lol

i have a 1/4" thick bar that comes right thru the front of the dash, and goes back to the firewall to mount my tach smile

also made for a good place to hang my naroow band o2 gauge

Attached the 5" Auto-Meter to the left pillar. Not a good spot, but until I work something out it will stay there. It's awful heavy for that, is there some type of a mount that I could use for the middle of the dash???

Thanks in advance

Oh...yea, I used that heavy duty double stick tape like they use for wheel weights and side trim. No holes drilled, and no giant hose clamp!

chevyss: you can do like i did smile

1/4" thick, 1" wide steel bar attached to the firewall, comes thru a small hole in the face of the dash and my 5" tach sits on that.

Many moons ago when I had the first monte. I had a Tach mounted towards the right fside of the col towards the clock. It was not as large as some of the ones I see on here. I had to work it on there a little but after a few trys got it too sit right so I could see it and didn't block the key or the col shifter.

• 1 month later...

I finally installed Shiftworks Tach to replace my non-op clock. It was a total pain to take that dash apart just to get to the instrument cluster. But it's worth it to have something functional on the cluster. Now only if my turn signal lights worked. I'm not looking forward to tearing it apart again just to put in a new circuit board.