Tachometer placement

wallaby

I'm thinking I'd like to add a tachometer, but I don't want it in the dash. I'm hoping I can find one and mount it so it doesn't block my view of the dash essentials. I don't want it in the windshield area either.

I was thinking the ideal spot was in front of the big non-functioning clock I have, but it looks like the depth of the tach is going to be an issue. There isn't much room.

Has anyone "been there, done that" that can help? ...Some creative solution?

That almost works....hmmm.

I'm just such an analog type of guy, I don't want digital. I don't want to be doing math between shifts.

The small face is a consideration, though. I just don't know how well that would work if I have to put on my glasses to read a tiny pointer.

Here is a photo of mine that I mounted in a pod on the a-pillar. Easy to read but I use it just to tune. I have a small autometer shift light mounted at the top of the a-pillar that I use at the track. Sorry the pic does't show that.

72montepics1005.jpg

David

That almost works....hmmm.

I'm just such an analog type of guy, I don't want digital. I don't want to be doing math between shifts.

The small face is a consideration, though. I just don't know how well that would work if I have to put on my glasses to read a tiny pointer.

Mark, not quite sure what your concerns are other than the fact that it's digital. I've played with both cars at the track and found you really need something in the middle so you don't have to take your eyes off where you're going. I even ended up taking the shift light off the analog tach in the Velle and mounting it right in front of me. That way the light is in your general vision (your not looking away from where you're going) and no problem seeing it or keeping you eyes straight ahead.

It is very bright, easy to read (remember I'm old so if I can read it) and it is also a shift light so there's no math....math is hard... grin

here's the Velle setup..

100_5116.jpg

Mark,

Here is my solution to having a tach but keeping it subtle. This 2 5/8" Autometer piece is clearly visible from the driver's seat and does not result in any changes to the dash. Hope this gives you some ideas.

DSCN3319.JPG

Mark, how about a simple shift light with no tachometer to even look at...the dial is on the front, you just turn the pointer to the rpm you want it to come on at. I have this one on my Vette, the sticker that you see on it in the picture comes in the box, just don't stick it on as in my opinion it makes it look crappy... wink

Click on the picture to get details on it.

pro-67005c_m.jpg

I mounted it with double sided 3M tape on my dash (holds and works great) and I pretty much leave the "night time" yellow cap on it all the time as it is plenty bright...I know it's not a picture of a monte dash but it gave me an excuse to post a picture... laugh

Oh, and you can see my B&M shifter knob like the one Dave just installed... grin

img0360small.jpg

I remember some older cars that had Vacuum gauges or tachs on the center console...that isn't such a bad idea really. I wasn't aware that you could get a shift light without a tach.

Mostly, I want to use the tach for staging. I can use the shift light for shifting, so maybe on the console isn't too bad.

Some ideas forming here.

Ummm....the clock is the one on the other side. Over there I have little room to work with. Column shift doesn't help.

MG, can you tell me how deep that gauge of yours is?

That's one measurement the catalogs leave out.

• 3 weeks later...

dont have any pictures now but I have a 3.5" tach mounted on my colum on the left side and it blocks my gas guage a lil bit but its not bad adn easy to read..the depth is about 2.5 - 3" deep dosent touch the dash..Ill get ya some pics!

I tried that for a while, and with a 454 you discover that the fuel gauge is pretty important to see. LOL

Ummm....the clock is the one on the other side. Over there I have little room to work with. Column shift doesn't help.

MG, can you tell me how deep that gauge of yours is?

That's one measurement the catalogs leave out.

Hey Mark, sorry for the slow reply, I had not noticed your question. The total depth of my Tach is 3".

Mark i kinda like my set up 022-1.jpg the stock tach works and reads the same was the autometer tach under the dash.023.jpg

Rob how do you keep that ashtray up???? JB Weld???

Ok, I have a monster tach from some previous project and it's just too much IMO. I'm not real happy with the fact that it goes all the way to 10,000rpm. Half of the tach face is covered with numbers I'll never use.

Yesterday I found myself a cute little 2" Tach. I think this might have more possibilities. I'm going to see what I can rig up.

Well, I found an answer, but it's a little different.

First let me explain that it's difficult getting the camera to take a picture of what the driver sees. My eyeballs must be at a lesser zoom. LOL

Here is as close as I could get to an accurate view:

In PARK it looks a bit awkward.

004-1.jpg

But in DRIVE it sits right where I wanted it.

003.jpg

If you like it it's perfect...I would have responded with that comment no matter where you put it... wink

I assume the wires that are moving with the tach are not rubbing. What about first and second gear, are you still able to see the tach if you were manually shifting the gears from first?

What about first and second gear, are you still able to see the tach if you were manually shifting the gears from first?

I figured someone would catch that.

The tach does travel down & right a bit more when the shifter is moved to the lower gears, but it's still easy enough to see.

I'm not 100% sold on this arrangement. The gauge is small enough that I can put it on the column in front of the speedo and it only blocks my view of the odometer and the PRNDL window. I could look around the gauge to see that stuff.

The only issue I have is the gauge itself because it's designed to be in-dash mounted and it has no screws or bracket atachment points. I'm not crazy about the idea of wrapping a big hose clamp around everything.

Mark...Mark...Mark.....a moving target tach????

I got to try that one I put in Red's car at the track yesterday and it works great....very easy to see, read and the shift light makes it really easy....I didn't realize you have a column shift, does make it a bit harder but this thing is so small is there any place you could put it???