polishing trim thread

Arsin

Arsin that is a good post got some chrome trim out in the garage I'm working on myself didn't know about the sanding the finish off be afraid to really mess it up. This is a little something i started last night for Royce top piece so cleaned with Mother's mag and alumn polish 002-12.jpg. Today it hit the buffer same two piece one on bottom just wiped with the Mother's polish and the top one ran through the buffer IMAG0005.jpg

Pink polishing the trim is not difficult but takes some time and patience. For removing scratches you pretty much have to remove the factory flash finish on some items (like the lower body trim) but I have found that not to be a problem if you're willing to keep the finish up after that. Depending how deep they are I use a variety of wet&dry sandpaper (use it wet) ranging from 800 to 2000. For the deeper ones you have to work your way up from the coarser paper to the 2000.

Once you have it smooth from the 2000 then any good metal polish like Mother's can be used for the final shine. This can be done by hand, a polishing wheel or I prefer to use a Dremel tool with a polishing bit on the smaller, narrow or more fragile pieces.

You can also work out small creases or dents with a soft piece of wood (a pencil works good) and then block sand it smooth with the coarser paper and again work your way up to 2000. I'm just finishing up a back center trim piece for a '72 that looks better than NOS....

I think Steve (Monteman1971) has done some of the larger stuff like the wheel trim rings with success as well...hope this helps..Dave...

Saw the post from awhile back, then came across it again and thought of you guys. Not ready to do any polishing, I just removed the driver side inner fender and am in the process of removing the AC unit and then get into blower motor and all that fun stuff.

Do you mean pass side that is where the blower is. Are you removing the heater too.

Naw, getting rid of the A/C but the blower don't work and eventually going to get around to the heater core (I've already heard how hard it is so I'm waiting)

I went as far as 320 grit on my belt molding trim pieces, just taking your time is the key. Sand,sand,sand some more, then polish away!

Thats a decent thread, I picked up a book, that helped me while doing some dent removal as well. The old stainless moldings have a lot of life in them,as long as you dont get in a hurry

I went as far as 320 grit on my belt molding trim pieces, just taking your time is the key. Sand,sand,sand some more, then polish away!

Thats a decent thread, I picked up a book, that helped me while doing some dent removal as well. The old stainless moldings have a lot of life in them,as long as you dont get in a hurry

Thanx. Try these ones out also. Might be helpful to use noobs as well as some of you "seasoned" vets rofl

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210994&st=0

Stainless is great to work with. You can make a pretty beat up part look better than they did when new. (They weren't polished.) I bought a buffer when I restored a Mustang a few years ago, repaired the stainless and polished it all and took the hubcaps apart and polished them. I showed my son how to do the polishing when we restored the 71 Monte for him. A few guys in the local car club found out we could repair stainless and I took on a few jobs for them. I agree, it definitely takes alot of time, but I have a hard time charging a fair price. I always think I should give them a big break and I end up working for too little. I'd rather just work on my own stuff, but I haven't been able to tell them "no". Anybody else have this problem? crazy

Thanks for the links!

Dan

Stainless is great to work with. You can make a pretty beat up part look better than they did when new. (They weren't polished.) I bought a buffer when I restored a Mustang a few years ago, repaired the stainless and polished it all and took the hubcaps apart and polished them. I showed my son how to do the polishing when we restored the 71 Monte for him. A few guys in the local car club found out we could repair stainless and I took on a few jobs for them. I agree, it definitely takes alot of time, but I have a hard time charging a fair price. I always think I should give them a big break and I end up working for too little. I'd rather just work on my own stuff, but I haven't been able to tell them "no". Anybody else have this problem? crazy

Thanks for the links!

Dan

No, I have no talent other than cheap humor rofl

Originally Posted By: overdrive

Thanks for the links!

Dan

No, I have no talent other than cheap humor rofl

Key word lol

Pink polishing the trim is not difficult but takes some time and patience. For removing scratches you pretty much have to remove the factory flash finish on some items (like the lower body trim) but I have found that not to be a problem if you're willing to keep the finish up after that. Depending how deep they are I use a variety of wet&dry sandpaper (use it wet) ranging from 800 to 2000. For the deeper ones you have to work your way up from the coarser paper to the 2000 ...

Davey, have you ever tried super fine steel wool, i.e. #0000 grade, to polish the trim/remove scratches? I'm curious how well it would work as opposed to sand paper. I use #0000 steel wool on my Harley to polish the pipes because of the road grime they pick up and it works wonders, but never have tried it on any of the trim on my 'Velle.

~ Z

Nate, I've used it to clean surfaces like ceramic coated headers. When they pick up stains or get a little dull I use the wool and some carb cleaner. Once the stain is gone then I polish it out with a ceramic polish made by Car Chemistry. Works pretty good, I wouldn't say it looks like new but it looks tons better.

Now that you brought it up I think I will try it as a transition step from the 2000 to polish...Thanks!! Dave

No, I have no talent other than cheap humor rofl /quote]

You have much more talent than you realize. It just needs to be brought out with a little training. And that's no joke. 2beers

Dan

No, I have no talent other than cheap humor rofl /quote]

You have much more talent than you realize. It just needs to be brought out with a little training. And that's no joke. 2beers

Dan

I've learned more from this site and all the members than anywhere else. I'll get good at something someday, just aint found me nitch yet. But thank you Dan..... I fell like throwing my gloves in teh air and screaming 'Yo Adrian.... we did it"

I must have ADD too. I am a light weight nowadays when my wife and I first got married and she would go see them over a weekend I would get a pizza and two twelve packs both would be gone by sunday morning and I work saturdays. Now I have to choose beer or pizza I just get to full so tonight I will fix a liquid dinner lol. In high school it was Little mickeys St Ides and a few other cheap drinks like MD 20/20 yuk I cannot imagine drinking MD anymore.

I must have ADD too. I am a light weight nowadays when my wife and I first got married and she would go see them over a weekend I would get a pizza and two twelve packs both would be gone by sunday morning and I work saturdays. Now I have to choose beer or pizza I just get to full so tonight I will fix a liquid dinner lol. In high school it was Little mickeys St Ides and a few other cheap drinks like MD 20/20 yuk I cannot imagine drinking MD anymore.

Ahhh.... the good ol days

Maybe thats what is wrong with me. That or mom forgot to mention she dropped me alot as a baby lol.

I figured mine must have dranken the above mentioned drinks and dropped me alot.... cuz I'm just not right and I think most would agree, especially those that have met me in person