Poly or Solid motor mounts

Enigmatic

I think I already know the answer but a buddy is trying to convince me that I need solid motor mounts in the Monte when I put the new motor in. I am wanting to put poly mounts in but he thinks that I will loose some of the torque when the poly mounts flex. Also that the Poly mounts will flex more than I want witht he HP the motor will be making. I leave it up to you guys...I am all for poly mounts, what do ya'll think.

The engine will be making somewhere between 410 - 425hp and is just a street cruiser and will only see the track maybe 4 - 5 times a year.

Solid.. God no. Poly?? Just put some stocker rubber mounts in. Anything you can do to isolate the vibration of the motor is a plus, especially in your intended use. I run stocker mounts in my 11-something Monte and my 10-something Camaro.

Chicks don't dig loud, rattling, smelly cars. (just ask my wife!)

solid.. not no.. but HE!! NO! for 400 hp, a quality set of stock rubber mounts will be just fine.. if you have problems with them breaking.. go to poly.

I had poly mounts on mine. During launch the headers were hitting the LCA mounts so I put a solid on the driver side. I think the poly would be great for your application.

I'm surprised by so many people against solid. I'll be using solid if I ever get mine running again. The transmission case breakage issue is from using solid motor AND transmission mounts--when the frame flexes from torque, with all solid mounts the bell housing is the weak point and it cracks. If you use a stock tranny mount that cures the issue. I have heard from lots of people that the solid mounts really don't shake the car much if any more than rubber mounts! Plus, they are so much easier to install and reach the bolts! lol

Late to the dance but my Malibu and 68 Velle both have solid mounts and you would NEVER guess it by driving it. I guess it depends on the car but I have removed every set of Urethane mounts installed on customer cars in the last seven years. Tired of chasing driveline vibrations at speed. The Poly mounts alays seem like a god idea at the time and I rarely try to outhink my customers knowledge.

Andy