402 Suggestions

Terry Lee

Mainly pleasure driving. I am looking for additional power for that occaisional urge to "get on it" for speed and some low end torque to light them up. I currenly have an open rear end and I would like to turn it into a posi. Any suggestions.

Thanks!

Terry

Great idea! I'll have to find out what size the current gear is. Also, it has an open rear end and I would like to have a posi. Any suggestions on the most economical way to go?

Thanks!

Terry

Gears will be the most noticable upgrade. I would recommend 3.23s or something around there if you have 2.73s like mentioned, and I would do an eaton posi or a tru-trac. All done you'll have less than $1000 in it and it will be the biggest change you could notice for that amount of cash.

Mr. Lee, I too have a 72 402 car. Got it with a wiped cam but otherwise ran well.

I kept the stock induction and swapped in the now $109 cheapie cam kit. Woke it right up. Threw a new timing chain and some fresh gaskets as well. The car car came with a 3.31 peg leg in it but I managed to leave it alone. Still have the stock tranny in it but also threw a 2300 stall to better match the cam.

It is a hoot to drive. The car has no options and is an original Orange Flame colored car.

My other 402 I have is in my 68 Chevelle. Took another bone stock Monte 402 and threw a quickie rebuild, a pretty big Crower solid roller cam, a matched 3500 stall speed, and a 750 Holley. I had a set of well modified 820 cast heads with big valves. I originally built a nice 3.73 12 bolt but was too much with the stock 14 inch ralley SS wheels, so in went a 2.56 rear for now.

The 68 is much fun but the 107 center on the cam killed any semblance of power brakes so I added a vacuum pump. The engine is truly balls plus for a small big block.

Sam,

I saw in another thread that you have the MSA book to determine Trim Codes. If you have a minute and can decode mine for me I would really appreciate it.

ST72 13857 K332441BDY

TR 735 A52 65 TPNT

06A 01104

Thanks!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am new here. Very happy to be here. Ok the intro is out of the way. I have the same 72/402 combo. Here's what I did:

Replaced 2:73 with eaton series 3 carrier w/ Richmond 3:42 ring and pinion

Moser axles- heavy car, you should have em'

2500 converter

402- .030 over hyper pistons, crane hyd flat tap 216/228 515/510 112 lsa

Casting 292 heads- bowl blend these and add the 1.88 exh valves keep the intake the same 2.06, all stainless and back cut. I took only .010 off the heads and kept the STD deck. Use mr. Gasket .019 head gasket. - this should get you about 8.9 to one with 113 cc and .180 dome.

I use the exhaust manifolds ( grind the air fitting bosses and smooth the turns)

Factory intake. Quadrajet done by jet performance.

The car is 3960 with me and runs 14.30's spinning the tires all day.

I agree, if you want quick and easy, headers and gear. Your choice with 12 bolts is limited to 3:08- 3:42. 3:31 are avail but I couldn't find them at the time. I think the 3:23 ratios are very hard to find but are found in olds 12 bolts.

With the 820/ 292 casting heads done like above and a small hid roller, this really wakes the 396/402's up.

Thanks. Working on some pics. I have had some pontiacs and other gm cars but I have always thought that the fgmc has always been a classy car; so I bought one. Going to be doing a dash resto and will probably need some advice. There are some beautiful owner pics on this site I also have a restored 1966 el camino with a 406 that I race. Still love my cruiser monte though.

Didn't intend to hijack the thread.