Need 200R4 what car should I take it out of

vacavillebob

Hi I am getting ready to take out my Powerglide in my 1970 Monte with the 350/300. I want to install a 200R4 but I hear some are better than others. Does anyone have a list telling which are the best and which are the worst of the 200R4's.

I am going to stay with the stock engine and have no intention of racing it. Although I may jump on it now and then at a red light. LOL

thanks for any help, Bob

I was told one out of a Buick Grand national turbo was good but then I don't know about the bell housing bolt pattern, it may not work? I also heard something about the speedo drive, cable vs electronic

Most 200-R4 transmission bolt pattern will fit Buick and Chevy engines:

Quote:
While most 200-4R transmissions feature a dual bolt pattern bellhousing and will bolt behind any GM V-8, as well as some V-6s, there is one particular 200-4R that features a single POB (Pontiac, Olds, Buick) bolt pattern that won't work behind a Chevy. They are easy to spot because they have only six bolt holes, while the dual-pattern bellhousings have 12.

Actually the dual bolt pattern 200-4r have ten bolt holes. The bottom holes and alignment dowels are in the same location on the chevy and BOP trans.

A lot of late TH350s also had the dual bolt pattern

I have never seen a 200-r4 that had a single pattern

Thank you everyone. I am still not sure what trans is best. I have read that the Buick Grand National is the best and that the Monte Carlo SS is second best. But no one has mentioned what year these cars are.

I found an old listing from 06/25/06 on this site that list all the cars that the 200R4 comes in. But again it does not tell me which one I should be looking to buy.

From what I have read on the internet, and knowing you can not trust everything you read. LOL I think the list is missing some cars also. The list has Buick Regal on it but no mention of the Grand National, I have read that they came in some 1980 Corvettes but they are not on the list. And I would think if they were in a Corvette they would have to be pretty strong.

I have found the 200R4 trans for as little as $80, I am sure it needs building but do not wish to buy one that is on the no good list if there is such a thing LOL

thank you, Bob

Hello Winston:

Tell me more about the one on your garage floor.

Do you have the ocnverter with it?

When you say a fresh one, do you mean newly rebuilt or what?

What car is it out of?

What are the codes on the data?

How much would you like for it? That is if you want to sell it.

I wonder what shipping would be?

I had a bunch of that info. I will have to look on my other computer when I get home. I got mine out of an 85 Monte SS. It bolted right up. Just had to slide the cross member around. I think mine is a COQ code which is for the 85 MC SS with a 3:73 rear gear. I think the speed-o out put is just like the original on our cars, I will have to change mine though for the TPI setup I have. Here is a link for info on them:

Link 1

Rebuild info

As I said I will try to find that other link that shows which tranny's came from what cars. I do think the general consenses is that the GN Valve bodies are the best ones and the MC's are next. Also the newer the version the stronger they are as far as input shafts, better pumps (more vanes) etc.

Hope this helps,

Steve

The Buick Grand National, T-Type and GNX were from 1982 to 1987, and the SS Monte Carlo from 83 - 88 and should all have the 200R4 transmission in them. I believe the 1987 GNX has the strongest 200R4 as it had modifications, as well as a custom torque converter, but because it was / is a GNX transmission, it is going to cost you. Your best bet IMO is to go with a late 80's 200R4 from an SS Monte Carlo.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin that is more of what I was looking for. Now to find one LOL. But I have lots of time to look the power-glide trans I have now is fine and nothing wrong with it. I just want an overdrive for mileage.

Hello Winston:

Tell me more about the one on your garage floor.

It is a stage 3 from Bowtieoverdrives

Do you have the ocnverter with it?

It has a 2400 stall, also from BTO

When you say a fresh one, do you mean newly rebuilt or what?

The internal parts are all BTO aside from the rear sprag and 2nd gear band. I had a driveshaft blow last year at high speed. The force from that cracked the bellhousing, so I had to get a new case for it. Since I had if fixed at a local shop, it's just sitting. (Bought a new all billet internals trans from a builder out east that's in the car now)

What car is it out of?

Not sure

What are the codes on the data?

The trans has a tag on the case, but they don't really mean anything, since all I used was the case.

The only reason/time to worry about what car they came out of or what codes are on it is if you were using a stock transmission. The reasons are:

A: valve body. This is the brains of the transmission. The best ones came out of Grand Nationals, BUT, anyone who rebuilds these for performance will either put in a better valve body or modify the exsisting one to get it up to snuff.

B: servo. If you are running a stock servo, GN's are the best again, but everybody replaces them anyways, usually with a custom billet one.

C: governor. Controls shift RPM's. Stock trans's used different shift points depending on the engine in front of it. Again, builders will change parts to make it shift at what you want anyways.

When these are rebuilt/remanufactured, they should have new heavy duty clutches and bands used for sure.

Chances of finding a transmission out of a car that is working and has never been taken apart are slim. Any trans of this type you see for sale from a shop or on the internet is rebuilt. What parts they use during the rebuild is what sets them apart. Don't worry about what car it came out of, worry about what is in it now. (TV piston diameter, heavy clutches, billet servo, shift kit, pump, governor springs, etc) If you get a trans from a buick grand national a trans from some old POS cadillac that has been upgraded, I'll take the one from the caddy that has been rebuilt with better parts any day of the week. The case often the only stock piece that is even used.

How much would you like for it? That is if you want to sell it.

I guess I would sell it, but I haven't really put a value on it.... I would guess 100-125 to ship.

I wonder what shipping would be?

Thank you Winston:

That is very good information. I am new at all this and just finding my way around with all the information that is out there. I know I want to change my powerglide for a 200R4 just trying to find the best deal and the best information to make that decision. Bob

I believe the 83 and 84 monte carlo ss still had a th350 not the overdrive tranny

You are correct, the 83/84 SS MC's did not get the 200R4 until the late 84 production run, but they installed the 200R4 in all Monte Carlo SS's starting in 85 thru 88.

Kevin

Thank you Winston:

That is very good information. I am new at all this and just finding my way around with all the information that is out there. I know I want to change my powerglide for a 200R4 just trying to find the best deal and the best information to make that decision. Bob

I've learned alot over the last couple years. Buy once, cry once. Here's the top of the pile in case you wanted to know. CK Performance