exhaust cutout

youngmonte71

I have the 3 inch QTP cutouts they do help at the track, but not as good as open headers for my setup. I guess it is all in the combination.

They are fun!

If you want cutouts save your 200 bucks. go to jegs and get them for 25 bucks. They open and close with 3 wing nuts. Open em at the track or just leave em open like I did on my SS camaro.

Cannot remember which magazine I saw it in but there ws a Chevelle build with emphasis on a pair of QTP units.

It was designed so that the flow of exhaust gases would go from the header/collector out through the cut out with a completely straight path, zero deviation from path of flow. Hard to explain so I will draw something up.

This was a system designed specifically use with cutouts and I would only put them on in such a case, not just slapped on the side of the pipes like a lot of people do.

If you want cutouts save your 200 bucks. go to jegs and get them for 25 bucks. They open and close with 3 wing nuts. Open em at the track or just leave em open like I did on my SS camaro.

I started out with the manual/wing nut type and switched to the electric type. Nothing better than, with the push of a button, opening them up WHENEVER I feel like it versus unscrewing some wingnuts grin . I play with the electric ones all the time whereas I rarely used them when there were manually. - Dave

Nothing better than, with the push of a button, opening them up WHENEVER I feel like it versus unscrewing some wingnuts grin . I play with the electric ones all the time whereas I rarely used them when there were manually. - Dave

Oh, so YOU'RE the one! mad

Just kidding. rofl

Originally Posted By: Andreas
Jegs has this:

555-30667.jpg

This is the only way to go. You can even bolt up your nice QTP units to this.

That is straight as you can get. Keep in mind though (which shouldn't be an issue) for ground clearance crossing under the driveshft. I know I can't do that on my Monte as it sits too low, have longtube headers, but mainly the fact my exhaust diameter is too big.

I do have exhaust cut-outs on my Monte but only for the fun factor, well actually it gives me maybe a half tenth in the quarter but that doesn't make them worth it, it's playing with them... smile

I also have one on my GMC Sierra...I never track tested that one but seat of the pants says it's slower if anything...again I put it on there give it a bit of a rumble when I want it then go back to dead silent without getting out the vehicle.

I will add that I did have the cut-out on the Monte for about 6 months before I broke down and added a "DMH" electric cut-outs, on the Sierra I used a "QTP".