Engine Bay Cleanup and A/C Removal Question(s)

James G.

Hello guys, I have a few questions regarding removing the factory A/C unit from my 1972 Monte Carlo. I really have no use for what's left of the A/C unit on my 72, as it is currently not working and I would really like to have that extra space on the passenger's side of the engine bay to get around the headers and such.

It appears that there is a plate that the A/C piece is mounted to the firewall, so I was wondering if I could remove those parts and bolt on a cover of sorts right to the firewall and free up all that room. Am I way off base with this thinking, or going down the right track? I was hoping some of you have undertaken a project like this in the past and have some advice for me, and possibly some pics of the work and how the final product looks on your Monte now. I don't want to start tearing the A/C pieces out only to find out the car doesn't run correctly afterwards, and have to backtrack to put something back together, so any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

-James

Sweet, I found a great site with instructions on how to do it correctly. As always, I can count on you guys for fantastic advice, thanks a bunch!

-James

If you choose to delete it, don't discard the A/C stuff.. brackets, condenser, evaporator,POA valve, suite case.. there's always a market for that kind of stuff. Specially if you're careful with dismantling the pieces. All other related stuff. Specially factory installed.

Thanks for the advice Rod, I will keep everything for sure. I found the A/C delete plate for $119.00 from thepartsplaceinc and am going to order it now, that seems to be the best price from what I have seen. Can't wait to put it in and free up that engine bay!

-James

If you get an AC delete "plate" you will have no ventillation or heat, is that what you want?

I removed my AC and went with this type of set-up, hope you saw this before you ordered the plate...Link

Thank you for the link Bill, I actually got busy at work and didn't get a chance to order the part yet, but I will look more into the one you suggested instead of the one I was going to order. I assume you can run the heater and blower motor ok with that setup? Thanks again guys and great picture link of the firewall setup on each type of setup Bruce, that is very helpful!

-James

I installed the "AC-Delete" system. Made in Hudson, Colo. Some points to make: 1)It works great! 2)Test-fit, test-fit & Test-fit some more. 3) It's fibreglas, so don't overtighten any thing. 4)I bought my own gasket material + sealant. 5)Consider replacing your original fan motor at this time. 6)Consider changing fan attachment screws at this time to allow easier removal {I like those Tall,1/4" Hex-head screws found on the back side of the Monte dashboards) 7)No change required on the Dash heater/A.C. panel control system {!!!} but you still need the engine vacuum. 8)I put in a pair of kick panel vents from a non-A.C. car {plug that vacuum hose that goes over to the Rite side kick panel} 8a) Plug any disconnected vacuum hoses. 9)You do have to cut a hole for the fan speed resistor in the new box {See number 3, above} 10) At this point, consider putting a relay on the "2nd highest" fan speed wire...Because of the "electrical arking" caused by "older fans" at this speed selection. Over the years I seen alot of these G.M. switches burned out -internally- at this speed setting. Youmay note the electrical connector on the back of the control panel has a "slightly-melted look' to it.