Reputable company?

FGMonteLuvr

Ready to have my 2 barrel carb rebuilt so I can start driving this girl. Found a company called Guaranteed Carburetors out of Florida and was wondering if anybody has ever used these guys or know someone who has. They have dozens of 'testimonials' but I never go by those because obviously they are not going to post the unsatisfied customers letters.

I realize I could buy a new 4 barrel carb and get more power, but the car is 100% original and trying to keep it that way. Plus, I've always heard that whenever you get a replacement part, it never fits quite as well as the original. Besides, I am just going to drive the Monte around town on the weekends and the cost of rebuild is much less than I expected.

So, if anyone is familiar with Guaranteed Carburetors, would love to hear from you. Also, if you've had success with another company, by all means, send me their name as well. Thanks in advance!

Why not rebuild it yourself?? Thread "Excellent Q-jet book found" is the book of books for doing the rebuild, and the kit is relatively cheap as well.

I'm with Kevin,,rebuild it yourself. A perfect Carb to learn on, get a kit by carb# get familiar with it and do it.. we'll help along. First consider some pre fuel cleaning.. like the tank or min... a good fuel filter in line, You already have some of the work done..why not? grin

That fuel bowl looks sick sick Do you have an in-line fuel filter I know mine does..yours has one in the carb fuel inlet.

Monte27.jpg

You can always use a second 2bbl carb to learn on and have for extra parts. When I rebuilt my first 4bbl I picked up a few "extra" carbs in case I had a question as to how things go back together or if I needed extra parts. Rebuilding them is not that bad, just takes some patience. I have several extra 2bbl carbs collecting dust in the attic. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!!

Mike

I did my original 2 bbl carb before getting a 4 bbl intake and carb from Edelbrock. I know thats not the route you want to take, but I can tell you that I bolted it all on, turned the key and it fired right up, never an issue since either.

I would give it a shot to rebuild it yourself, a kit is cheap, you can get the carb # and order a rebuild from Napa or one of the parts places, I think my kit was about 15 bucks from what I remember. You cant hurt it anyway, instructions are simple and easy to follow, its worth a shot

The 2bbl Rochester is a very simple, straighforward carb. You shouldn't have any trouble rebuilding it yourself. In fact it's pretty rare that these carbs NEED rebuilding: they just seem to go forever. I've cleaned out carbs on lawnmowers that were twice as complex as the rochester.

The good news is because the carb is so simple, there's almost nothing the rebuilder could get wrong.

27548_113287232030931_4867_n.jpg

What is it about the carb that makes you feel it needs to be done?

Thanks for all the advice on rebuilding the carb myself. Problem is that I am beyond mechanically uninclined (ask my wife). For example, the last project car I had I attempted to replace the fuel filter. Simple, right? Well, after putting the new filter in, I proceeded to reconnect the line. I kept turning the wrench until... you guessed it. I broke the part in half and was unable to remove it from the carb. If that wasn't enough of an example, I tried performing a tune up on my first '72 Monte and proceeded to pull all the wires off at the same time. Had no idea that there was a particular 'firing' order. Needless to say, when I finished putting the new wires on and went to crank up the car, I thought the engine was going to leap up through the hood. With both instances, I ended up paying more for someone to fix my mistake than I would have if I just taken it to a mechanic in the first place. My father was a lawyer and always paid someone to work on his cars, so I was never taught how to do anything with them and don't have the time to learn how to do it now. So I am doomed to pay someone else. This is going to be no exception.

Sorry to hear about your doomed fate. It is tough to find someone to trust to do work. In this case though, the work is very simple so you shouldn't have to find an expert. I've never heard of this company but I would say to talk to people about local shops that are in to older cars and go in and talk to them. I would recommend finding someone with grey hair whose been working since when carbs were the norm. Now it's all fuel injection and I'm not convinced the young guys are getting the carb knowledge.

Best of luck and good on you for wanting to keep her original.

I rebuilt mine myself did hundreds back in the day but still had problems so I sent it out to get it done. They found some stuff I didnt see so all was good untill a couple months later when it started sticking again, the throttle plate was worn out so I tossed it all and got a new manifold and carb and couldnt be happier. I have the old 2 bbl if you need any parts off it other than the throttle plate that is

That may be what is wrong with mine. After getting all new plugs, wires, and points I put on a new mounting gasket and bolted the carb back on. Then I cranked her up and within 2 seconds, she was screaming and even backfired before I was able to shut her off. Friend who was doing the work said that the throttle got stuck open and suggested the rebuild. I had found someone I work with that could do it for me at no charge, but was never able to find the kit. I've also had people advice me to go ahead with the manifold/carb change. Always a possibility, but have no idea what that means, how to do it or costs involved. I am on a VERY limited budget and still haven't tackled the brake system yet. Plus, still in need of new tires and a windshield. Bought the car with the intentions of at least being able to drive it around town on weekends within six months, but with lack of time, money and know-how, that is looking less likely everyday. Maybe I'll be cruising in it by next spring.