'72 ('70-'71?) RH Mirror

Just got a shipment from OPGI of random detailed parts for my MC and the passenger door morror arrived cracked! As I stepped in the house to look into return procedures, I peeked at my '72 buyers literature (with that sweet brown monte on the cover :-) ) and lo-and -behold no passenger mirror!!!!!!!!!! Then I looked at the pic gallery and lots of you have none either! Any input as to why GM did this would be helpful! And as it stands now I'm not going to mount one!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys.

Jamie

Most of the cars from that era didnt have rt mirrors. I didnt install one on my car when I restored it, there are times I wish I did, but for the most part its fine without it. There really isnt much of a blind spot on that side while on the highway, but it would aid in parking it

As per Tony's comments, unlike today where two mirrors are the standard. Two became the standard because there very convenient/practical. I would recommend you add one, you'll notice the difference if you don't have it.

I've had my 70 without a RH mirror for 15 years and managed without it. My 72 has a RH mirror and I do use it from time to time.

Most of the cars from that era didnt have rt mirrors. I didnt install one on my car when I restored it, there are times I wish I did, but for the most part its fine without it. There really isnt much of a blind spot on that side while on the highway, but it would aid in parking it

Parking was the main reason for me adding the rt mirror, for driving not really needed its just a comfort for myself to have it, if needed. Got to be able to see as much as possible when driving the Monte, lol... Again, I guess it just comes to personal preference and keeping it with original options, IMHO.

Backing my Monte out of the garage is so much easier with that right hand mirror, also backing into a parking space at a cruise.

After I almost hit a biker changing lanes, I knew I could't live with out a right side mirror any longer! I like having it but the glass still goes out of adjustment after my wife slams the door. I keep telling her, gently please gently!

Bruce

Driving newer cars, one gets used to having a RH mirror. But I did without until a mirror that matches the LH factory remote became available. If it hadn't, I'd still be without one.

• 3 months later...

I purchased a RH mirror for mine to match the drivers side as use to having 2 and for backing out of the garage it's going to make life easier. I am holding off the install as I now realize it's nicer shape then the drivers side. So will be buying the driver side next and installing both on the car before spring. I like the symmetry of the 2 anyway regardless if it's original. Hell HEI isn't original and it makes the car more drivable IMO so why not?

Scott

Be careful of the twin chrome ones for sale. Read the description carefully, most of the ones that sold R and L in one ad said that they were chrome metal base and the head (mirror) was PLASTIC!!! The ones I bought from classic obession? sell just a right or just a left and the quality is very good and chrome is excellent and they are as heavy as OEM. So a pair would run you 60.00 ish any less and I would question the quality....FWIW.. IMO!!!

Scott