Heater Core Removal

Xxyyzz

Are there any walk thrus on removing the heater core? Ive never done this on any car and the PO did a coolant rerout a long time ago b/c the heatercore was leaking.

Any tips or tricks before i do the install?

Thanks,

-Mark

ok, so i wasnt just a lazy "no searcher" ;-)

His walk thru is on:

https://picasaweb.google.com/stangeba/HeaterCoreReplacement?authuser=0&feat=directlink#

NOT on this site... but I followed some of his posts and found it... thanks for letting me know that he had this rod!

-Mar

That's it you got it. I went looking for it and found it as well, nice to use the search option, every now and then. wink Good luck on your venture... whistle

There are a couple of good threads in the engine tech forum that might be helpful-I just did the core,AC delete,and inner fenders last winter.

The core like many other jobs takes care and patience(unless you do them every day)but it is not THAT bad.

Remove the dash PAD-it takes just seconds and makes peering in and dealing with the air ducts so much easier.

There is one bolt that holds the core casing from the INSIDE-remove all the bolts off the studs on the firewall side and one can go nuts wondering why the darn thing still wont break loose.

Carefully lower the case onto the floor as vaccuum lines and a bowden cable are attached.

After 5 years,it is great to have heat again for those beautiful autumn and early winter drives!! Keep us posted-good luck!! Brian

• 5 months later...

Hey bruce, if you want to add this to your phot album feel free:

2012-01-20_12-43-59_856.jpg

The box on my 72 only had 4 studes. I'm unsure if it's stock or not, but maybe this could help someone in the future. I spent a while looking for that 5th stud!

-Mark

PS: wouldnt have had the guts without your pics, thanks!

My heater core took a dump all over my passanger side floor the day I was to bring it back home. I had to cut the lines and do a loop till I get around to changing it. Thanks for posting all the pics and tips on how to change it out!

I assume it worked fine prior to removing the heater core. As with any electrical problem in a vehicle, I start at one end and work to the other like on a map. You must have a 12 Volt test light, check for power at the blower mtr, work back or start at the fuse, and work to the mtr. You have factory A/C, correct? I believe there is a relay on the outside A/C box area. Check for power there. You may also have a bad ground at the blower mtr itself. There is a blower mtr resister block inside (on my non A/C 71) that may have come unplugged, check that. Lot's of things to look for after a major repair but leaving something unplugged or unhooked is very likely. Good luck

Bruce

So the blower fan doesn't work after you took the inside unit out to replace the heater core? The fan doesn't work at all? A couple thoughts - the relay on the outside is the high blower relay, usually the issue if only Hi speed doesnt work. If it works on Hi and nothing else, look at the blower resistor, which I don't remember if its on the outside or this inside with a/c, If I remember right, its on the outside(in engine compartment). Power runs through the resistor for speeds other than Hi.

If it doesn't work at all, check for power on the orange wire at the hi blower relay on the A/C unit out in the engine compartment. If no power there with a test light, there is sometimes an inline fuse in that wire.

Let us know what you find and I can scan some pictures/wiring diagram too if that would help.

Here is a few pics of the area and the resistor pack on mine (AC maybe different) that should give you some idea as it or the plug for it could be what is loose.

Hope these help at all.

Scott

DSCN0978.jpg

DSCN0974.jpg

DSCN0968.jpg

DSCN1060.jpg