Another shake down run

dbreese

This past Sat I made it down to a cruise-in at the Whataburger in Tallahassee,FL It is about a 70 mile round trip from house. The ambient air temp was 99 deg and the heat index was around 105 deg. 4 lane highway for about 25 miles the last 10 is stop and go traffic. Ran the car between 65-70 mph and the temp held steady at 180-185 deg for the first 25. Oil pressure was 60 psi at cruise. Once I got into stop and go traffic the temp never climbed abouve 190. The car ran great. Total fuel burned on the trip was just over a 1/4 tank.

Once at the cruise-in I had several people question me about the engine. Air lid decal reads " Turbofire 350 270 hp". I told them it was just a mild s/b with an RV cam and a Holley 4 bbl that runs on pump gas. You could kind see the doubt in the eyes of some of the regulars that know the car and the fact that it had been down for over a year and half. We all had a good laugh about it.

Now I just need to get it to the track. My time is really getting short. Drag Week is about 41 days away and I still have know idea what this thing will run.

David

But now for the all-important question - did you get on it? if so, how did it feel?

Made some 1-2 shift spooling it up pretty hard ( stretch of road in the middle of nowhere, plantation land) wink No traction and I was short shifting cause my brain is trained to shift when the light comes on. Currently set at 5800. This was set for my old engine which by the time I saw the light and shifted the rpm was around 6000-6100. The new engine is just getting really happy at 5800. grin

David

Can't wait to see some time slips.

How is that Tru Trac working? Does it engage and disengage as smooth as they claim? In your loss of traction is there two even tire marks?

I still haven't ordered my rear yet but was very curious as to how yours is working for you.

Can't wait to see some time slips.

How is that Tru Trac working? Does it engage and disengage as smooth as they claim? In your loss of traction is there two even tire marks?

I still haven't ordered my rear yet but was very curious as to how yours is working for you.

The Tru-Trac is awesome. No popping or banging when making turns and very predictable when driving in the rain. When you put the spurs to it it will leave two nice black marks. I expect that at the track it will work just fine. If you can swing it go with the 33 spline axle upgrade with Ford ends.

David

Good do hear Dave. I didn't realize you also added a Trutrac, that is very interesting. I've been drooling over them for a while but just can't justify it since my eaton is still doing well. I have read great results about them from some high hp cars.

Great to hear everything is going good with the Monte. Can't wait to hear the results at the track. Looking forward to following drag week.

If you don't mind me asking what RPM are you turning at 65-70 mph? Thanks.

Great to hear everything is going good with the Monte. Can't wait to hear the results at the track. Looking forward to following drag week.

If you don't mind me asking what RPM are you turning at 65-70 mph? Thanks.

Hey Steve,

70 mph the car is right at 3400 rpm. Mechanical music!!

David

Your RPM at 70MPH sounds all to familiar. It's a love/hate thing for me with those numbers. One day a Gear Vendor's unit will make it all love. To much invested in the Turbo 400 to ever go back to a 4 speed overdrive.

Yep Greg I would love to have a GV behind my transmission. GV is the major sponsor of Drag Week and each class winner gets a 1500.00 gift certificate towards the purchase of one of their units. I could only get be so lucky!!! grin

The engine just noodles along at that rpm without strain. cool

David

Sounds great.... So when do you think you'll get to the track?

Steve

The weather down here is real iffy this time of year. A lot of pop up t-storms. Every time I try to go it is work or weather that gets in the way. I need to get to the track soon cause Drag Week is just around the corner.

David

Here, let me put a little pressure on you David to get those times posted lol. I'll just tell everyone they were great times,... even with bad air. Good job David, very consistant. Looks like you are ready for drag weeks. - Dave

Dave it sounds like you know what he ran. If he doesn't post by tomorrow morning you have to spill the beans...we gotta know now... grin