can the burlwood dash panel be removed?

Redrock Kustoms

Hey Kyle, so your in Alberta eh....Hmmm anyways, the woodgrain overlay in the 1970 was held on with strips of what they called Dum Gum and had tabs that curled around the heater switch cluster and in the corner of the Amp Gauge or Alt Gauge in the left corner and then down by the steering column cover that could all be bent back and pull the panel off slowly, In the early 71 models they still used some Dum Gum but then switched over to drilling various holes in the dash itself and attaching butterfly clips to the back of the panel which went through the holes to hold the panel on and all 1972's had the clips as well so when the panels were removed you had these 7 holes scattered everywhere......so if your monte is a 70 good chances are its held on with dum gum and corner clips...

Darren.

Kyle, I just replaced the burlwood insert on my '70 SS car last Saturday. Here's what I encountered and what I did to get the job done (sorry for all the words - I didn't take any photos of this project):

1. Remove the four screws at the top edge which go up into the dash pad. Also, remove the two screws at the top edge of the glove box and then pull the dash pad backward and take it out.

2. Remove the rear window defrost switch. Drop the panel below the steering column to get access then remove the electrical connector from the back of the switch and the two nuts tha hold on the retainer. The switch and housing will fall out the front of the dash.

3. Carefully pull the radio knobs off and remove the lighter.

4. At the right upper corner of the insert there are two metal tabs (the insert is stamped sheet metal with a bonded plastic burlwood surface) that stick through slots in the dash face and are bent around. Look on the backside of the dash just to the right of the center A/C duct (or the filler panel if you don't have A/C) to locate the two metal tabs and then bend them back to allow the dash insert to be removed with less force and without bending it.

5. The remaining retaining devices (dum gum and spread wire retainers) can now be overcome by carefully working a flat tool (I used one of my wife's table knives - what she doesn't know won't hurt her) around the sides and lower edge of the insert. Since the left edge of mine was alread slightly loose, I started there. Push the flat tool carefully up between the insert and the dash face until you meet stiff, yet pliable resistance. When you encounter a glob of dum gum, simply push the tool slowly through it until the insert is free at that point. There are at least two (only two on my insert) spread wire retainers and they are on either side of the steering column cutout near the top of the arch. Push the flat tool up there and carefull pry the insert outward and the retainers should slip out of their respective holes in the dash. Work you way across the dash, until all of the dum gum globs have been separated. You may encounter another spread wire retainer near the radio opening.

6. The insert should now be free of the dash so you can pull it up and out. Pulling it straight out will not work because the steering column immediately swells in diameter just beyond the insert.

Getting the new/replacement insert back in (I assume that is your objective) is mostly a reversing of the steps above. I decided to reuse as much of the dum gum (didn't know what it was called, but that sure works for me) as I could so I used a wood chisel to scrape as much off the dash and insert as I could. I wadded it all into a ball and then kneaded it and pulled it like taffy to restore it's flexiblity. Amazingly, it remained tacky as ever. I then cut/pulled off small amounts and rolled them into balls and placed them in locations on the back of the new insert to align with the original locations on the dash. You will obviously need to press slowly and firmly on each location of the dum gum balls to flatten them out and get good adhesion.

I used a salvaged insert from a '71. It did not have any spread wire retainers but it did have four small screw holes in it (one in the lower right corner, one on each side of the steering column cutout at the lower edge and one in the upper flange at the left end). Since these holes did not appear to be of factory origin, I did not put screws back in them. Actually they are not needed if you put the dum gum in the right locations. If something more is needed, I suggest industrial double-sided foam mounting tape instead of screws. I am going to fill the small screw holes with JB Weld wood filler and use a walnut stain touch up pen to blend the small patches with the burlwood pattern.

I also had to cut an opening in the replacement insert for my rear window defroster switch. I just nested the new insert on top of the old and scribed the opening on the back of the new insert. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut the sheet metal from the back and a grinding stone for final shaping of the cutout and removing sharp edges. It worked perfectly and looks original once the switch is installed.

I am not sure how a '72 dash is retained, but I've been told that they have a cutout for a seat belt indicator light as standard so you may have to install a light as a filler even if it doesn't function. There may also be other factory options that mount through the dash insert that I am not aware of.

Good luck with your project. Mine took more time but was easier than I expected.

Both of those responses are are lot of help! Mine is a 71 and the plan was to pull the Dash cover off and wrap in brushed aluminum vinyl. I may just leave as is due to the fact the entire Dash is in fantastic shape. The steering wheel is not, a Grant 405 Challenger wood grain wheel might help match up to the dash. but I will need to figure out a center console to go around the Quarter Stick I plan to install. Recaro Buckets are retro fitted in as of today...

I am in Edmonton.

• 7 months later...

All Montes had the same dash whether it was an SS or not. It happens to be the same as an SS Chevelle dash but with a woodgrain insert on it.

• 11 months later...