Wheel End Bearing Removal Help

MGD72Monte

Any experts at removing rear axle wheel end bearings out there? The book I have shows a slide hammer with a pivoting foot that slides into the axle tube and enables you to effectively pull/slam the bearings out from the inside out. Needless to say unless you are working on axles every second weekend, you (I) don't have this tool. Any ideas that involve tools the average shade tree mechanic might have?

Thanks for your time

See if one of your local parts stores has a tool loaner program that would be the easiest. Otherwise busting the bearing cage apart and useing a chisle or a torch is the only other way I can think on I've done all three. If you had a long bar like rerod or something you may be able to drive it out from the other side but thats a long shot.

I used my slide hammer and an add-on tool specifically for those bearings. As mentioned, the big chain auto parts places will loan out those tools for a deposit which equals the price of the tool. Basically equals free rental unless you decide to keep it. The slide hammer setup you discbribed works like a charm. - Dave

Most parts houses will rent you the tool. And Bobbo is a damn genius if the carrier is out. If not, make good freinds with your local mechanic ans see if he will loan it to you. Which is out. We don't lend tools to our own mothers.LOl.

Perhaps I missed something but this must not be a C clip type 12 bolt rear axle. For the other type of axle, after removing the four nuts holding the bearing plate to the backing plate, re-install the brake drum backwards, put three lug nuts on about 5 threads, and use the drum as a slide hammer. May not work for rusty old cars, but it's free to try it!

Bruce

the pipe will pass right thru the carrier to.but i will take the genius title anyway!!lol

I was thinking about that. With the cross pin out you certaintly could get an 8 foot piece of conduit through the other side.

Bob=Genuis

Great suggestions everyone. I will be checking the local parts places to see what is available as loan-a-tool. If that doesn't produce any good options, I have a piece of round metal stock, 1"x6' which I can use to try Bob the Genius' technique. I will wait until I get to remove to try that one though. I don't think I would feel comfortable sneaking that through the differential carrier.

Bruce, this is a 10 bolt with C-clips axle retainers. Are you suggesting removing the carrier, re-installing the C-clip back on the axle inside the tube and pulling the axle out with the C-clip on it to remove the seal? I suppose that could work too.

Thanks all

Problem I had with mine was the axle shaft was worn down. I used an OFF SET bearing that now rides in a good spot on the axle shaft. I never knew they existed till my friend told be about them.

Bruce

It was probably easier to pull the bearing than setup the perfect photo, eh?

Yes it was, especially after I realized I forgot to take the shot and had the slide hammer halfway back in the box lol

Originally Posted By: stangeba
Problem I had with mine was the axle shaft was worn down. I used an OFF SET bearing that now rides in a good spot on the axle shaft. I never knew they existed till my friend told be about them.

Bruce

I have the same problem Bruce. I'm not sure which way I will go, the off set bearing is likely the economical way to go but I am looking at run out as well on those axles (Right 0.003", Left 0.024"). If anyone knows whether those tolerances,especially the 0.024" one are out of limits, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Bruce

Have literally done hundreds of these things. Saves the customer on average around $400 when you add the cost of a new axle and bearings.

bs1.jpg

I think that bearing is a great idea for stock replacement. If you are going to be getting into any performance, I don't like the groove that has worn into the axle shaft. I believe it is a stress riser.

Originally Posted By: stangeba

Bruce

Have literally done hundreds of these things. Saves the customer on average around $400 when you add the cost of a new axle and bearings.

Thanks Andy, I'm still not sure which way I will go on this. Any thoughts on the runout numbers I mentioned (Right 0.003", Left 0.024").