Polishing Aluminum Trim

71 MONTE 4 YA

Hey all I thought I would give a try at polishing my lower trim pieces. I started with the drain opener to remove the anodization and then I am going to start a sanding process starting with 150 grit then 220 then 400 followed by 600. Here are a few pics:

These are a few of the pieces that are stripped

HPIM0529.jpgHPIM0528.jpg

HPIM0527.jpg

This is one piece that I started the sanding process on

HPIM0531.jpg

More pics to follow as I proceed

Dont be scared to go to 1500 or 2000 may give you a better gloss and not to many scratch marks. Are you wet sanding or dry?
The 150 and 220 is gonna be dry and the rest will be wet. I'm gonna start with the 150 to get the bad imperfections out.

those pieces are originally anodized, polishing them will remove the anodizing, once you finish polishing them them i suggest clear-coating them to protect them or they will tarnish quickly eek

those pieces are originally anodized, polishing them will remove the anodizing, once you finish polishing them them i suggest clear-coating them to protect them or they will tarnish quickly eek

Yeah Sam I know. I'll just keep them waxed often like every time I detail the Monte once it's done, or I'll probably have my cousin clear them when he paints it.

The trim is not perfect and have some very deep pits in some spots but I have to make them work for now until I get back on my feet and find some employment.

Did steps 4 and 5 with the 400 then 600 grit today. Did a quick polish on one of the pieces just to see how it would look. Here are a few pics:

HPIM0542.jpgHPIM0541.jpgHPIM0540.jpg

GONNA KEEP WORKING AT IT

Those are looking really good, Rodney. I think a satin look would be nice, as well as the original look. Nice work. You can sand the black painted area and reshoot it with semi gloss yourself. Be sure and use degreaser, preferably before sanding.

Dan

Thanks everyone for the compliments. So far I've got about 20 hours into this trim so it's really something to do to kill a little time. I need a couple of pieces one that came up missing when I had given the pieces to this guy to polish for me. He was going to charge me $250 and had the stuff for 3 months and never started on them. The one piece is one that goes on the fender by the marker light it has a small hole in it which became more obvious during the sanding. As a matter of fact both pieces goes on the fender the other piece is just a straight piece that goes on the fender with just clips I think because there aren't any bolt holes in it.

HERE IS THE ONE PIECE THAT'S MISSING BUT THE OPPOSITE SIDE:

HPIM0545.jpg

HERE IS THE PIECE WITH THE HOLE:

HPIM0544.jpg

• 2 weeks later...