small block big block

jacob

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have the compression requiring the 110 it is just tossing money away like Sam said.

The car will probably run worse because of the slower burn rate of the race fuel.

If you go for the smell, VP 110 has more odor than Sunoco 110

You had quoted that the compression of your build will be around 9.7:1. Feed it 93 prem. That will be fine. That is what I run my engine on. No race gas or additives needed.

David

As stated above, you only need 92 or 93 octane in your 9.7 to 1 engine. You could run 1 gallon of 104 or 110 race gas in every 3rd or 4th tank full of gas just to keep things clean as 104 and 110 gas works better as a cleaner than any of the off the shelf carb cleaners, etc. I know it may sound cool to some people that you are using "race fuel", but without the proper engine/race engine, you're wasting money. If you must have it, just remember, store race gas in a good sealing metal container, out of sunlight, in a cool dry place. Plastic containers are crap for storing gas. New "Jerry Cans" work great. Here is their link, http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?products_id=1718

- Dave

If you go for the smell, VP 110 has more odor than Sunoco 110

Funny you should mention that Mike.One thing I always noticed with race fuel like VP leaded was that if you spill it on your hands,a couple of minutes later there is no smell on your skin.Spill some Sunoco or any street unleaded and your hands stink for hours.I guess it has something to do with all the additves.I personelly love the smell of leaded race fuel.I ran unleaded 114 about 14 years ago.Yikes!That stuff is nasty.So many additives to get the octane up.It smells like some alien bug spray.;)Since Meth injection came out I haven't used race fuel in a long time.

Sorry, guess I got off the intent of the thread. BB or SB. Over the years I've had them both. My Monte was a 350/350 when I first bought it. Spent about 6000.00 on it in just the heads, cam, rockers etc and it just didn't have it. Every car that's come with a SB has always ended up a BB. Bigger is always better.LOL. As others have said, No replacement for displacement. Hope to boost mine soon with an overhead kit from Crazy Davey Racing.

this morning out in nc I got to smell some of that 110 fuel. And I got to hear some big cams and I saw a monte carlo couldnt tell what year it was moving and I never saw the front end but we chased it for a while but it was to cold. so we stoped after a while and walked back. we always find new ways to make a monte carlo owner stop. one almost ran me over and one guy tryed to sell his freinds monte for 14000 to me. but we had no money and it was a 454.

has any one tryed E3 diamond spark plugs they have a diamond head and makes biger sparks and horse power while burning gas better. Would that be affected by 93 mixed with a couple gallons of 110. I wouldnt think it would hurt a thing but I thought I should ask all of you.

I wouldn't waiste my money.Every couple of years a new plug comes out that makes more power and gets better mileage.Check with most racers and you will see maybe 4 different brands that have been out for years.Get a set of NGKs and be done with it.Forget the race fuel.Adding rocket fuel to your lawn more will not make it cut grass any better.I'm not trying to be sarcastic.It's just the simplest way to explain it.Too much race fuel with low compression will actually slow you down.

has any one tryed E3 diamond spark plugs they have a diamond head and makes biger sparks and horse power while burning gas better. Would that be affected by 93 mixed with a couple gallons of 110. I wouldnt think it would hurt a thing but I thought I should ask all of you.

I heard that for race applacations there good but not so much for street use they foul to easily. Just a roumer through the grapevine.

Well from what I ve heard and seen E3 spark plugs are well known by race teams if you watch gearz there always talking about E3 but I dont know if there the best. the only reason I even talk about 105 or 110 is my dad was going to get some to clean out his fuel injectors and my neighbor mixes it in his car. And Iam not talking about runing race fuel in my car all the time maybe a few times to clean up my carborator and that sorta stuff.

I put a set of e3 plugs in my sons 00 monte due to being a gearz fan. ended up having a couple foul in one year. ac delco is extremely hard to beat imo. oriellies credited them towards some ac plugs but there not easily replaec on rear 3 plugs on the 3.4.

the only reason I even talk about 105 or 110 is my dad was going to get some to clean out his fuel injectors and my neighbor mixes it in his car. And Iam not talking about runing race fuel in my car all the time maybe a few times to clean up my carborator and that sorta stuff.

you've got to be kidding me....right??? kicking

most race gas is leaded you would be doing much more harm than any good putting it in a modern car with catalytic converters. Leaded fuel will ruin a catalytic converter. That is why they went to unleaded fuel in the first place.

I understand the issues with CATS, however, using race fuel the way I stated in my earlier post still stands true. It is a better cleaning agent than off the shelf carb and injector cleaners, period. And, it's cheaper by comparison. The guy that turned me onto to this method has been doing it for years and years to his 2000ish Corvette with no bad effects to the CAT or his computer. I guess it has to do with the amount used. His standard was always no more than 1 gallon mixed into every 3rd fill up. Of course in older vehicles, I don't think there is any issues.

That being said, Jacob, I would not recommend using race fuel "only" in an engine that does not need it. I'm only recommending it as I stated above. Now I know some of you will still disagree with me. Not the first time, sure it won't be the last. - Dave

Why not use SEAFOAM instead of the other stuff. It works better than most additives as it is a petroleum based product. It cleans injectors, fuel lines, carbs etc and it is SAFE for use in ALL modern vehicles. In fact if your state requires emissions testing and your car is borderline or won't pass, run a bottle mixed in with a tank full of fuel and you will likely PASS.

I use it on my bike, and my cars. And even on my snow blower and my lawn mower as we have Ethanol (spit on ground) crap in our gas and this helps when using that CRAPOLA....

You should be able to get it at local automotive parts stores or UAP NAPA I think?

SEAFOAM it works....try it!!! And it's INEXPENSIVE...a LOT more so then a gallon of racing fuel I expect..

Scott

Around here seafoam is $9.95 a bottle. O'Rielly auto parts has it on sale about every other month for $7.95. I usually put a can in my 72 about every third tank full of petrol and now that is is basically stored for the winter it got a dose before storage.

Seafoam is great stuff. That is the one thing I do use as a substitute. Still, by the GALLON, which is cheaper. I know the answer, I'll let you do the math winkgrin . - Dave

Seafoam is great stuff. That is the one thing I do use as a substitute. Still, by the GALLON, which is cheaper. I know the answer, I'll let you do the math winkgrin . - Dave

Well OK I know it is not that much a gallon. But the other BIG problem is finding it around here. But I CAN go to the local store and buy a can of Seafoam anytime even in DEAD of winter when the car is stored. I also don't have to go with a GAS CAN to get that GALLON of fuel and transport it (again in DEAD OF WINTER) in my wife's car (and the complaining that will follow) or any other time. So even though PER GALLON it SEEMS $ for Seafoam for all other aspects is is CHEAPER...and less headaches grin

Besides 1 can can do several fill ups so it's all good under the hood lol

Scott

You have to consider Dave that race fuel is not purely a detergent cleaner,were Seafoam basically is.If you took all the pure gas and other additives out of race fuel you may find you actually have less cleaner then is actually in a bottle of Seafoam.Just saying.I know we are cutting hairs here and you really need to decide how much carbon/dirt is getting in your motor between those 3 fill ups.Now if you buy a used car from some old lady who hasn't whacked the throttle since the last time her old man grabbed her by the knee,then these cleaners would really help.I like GM Cleans left in overnight.I sure won't be doing it once a month though.I was cleaning a couple of sets of used pistons I bought last year.I tried every solvent,race fuel and Methanol I could find.I found leaving the piston in a can 1/3 full of Cleans worked the best.Let the pistons sit in the can for a couple of hours and just wipe off the carbon.They came out like new.Of course adding race fuel is always a good excuse to take the MC out and let her go. smile

Here the biggest reason to use Seafoam in more then 1x per year is now due to the Ethanol we have in the gas up to 10% and even the premium brands have it and since the same tanker fills the tanks each week with different grades it is finding it's way into the higher priced gas as well despite the propaganda from the gas companies.

So the Seafoam or other additives help to reduce the ill effects of Ethanol on fuel longevity and corrosive effects on seals and rubbers not designed for it. The shelf life of this mixed fuel before it goes inert is much less then it use to be as well. Octane boosters also help depending on there formula.

Wish we didn't have to and had the higher octane we use to have when these cars were new instead of the LOW octane crap they shove down our throats now. Pump gas now is swill compared to what it use to be.

Oh well...anyone convert a Monte to an electric yet? grinrofl

Scott

well my dads truck was made in 1993 and right now is running with open headers.would that hurt any thing to put a little 105 just to clean it up. we will be geting new exhaust but right now we have no money to spare.