Rocker arms

maddmann313

I just replaced my head gaskets, and when I removed my heads I loosened the rocker arms to take the push rods out. Now I'm trying to replace these rocker arms, and I need to know what the torque specs are... It's a SBC 350 with stock cam rocker arms and lifters!

Rocker arms do not get torqued.

The rockers are adjusted to preload the lifters. The simple explanation is bring the each cylinder up to TDC on the firing order and tighten the rocker to take up the slack and the a half turn.

Some guys like to adjust them while the engine is running but that can sometimes get messy

I do it a little differently...I scanned the service manual to show the procedure you can use to adjust the rocker arms. Basically you can adjust half of them on #1 TDC and the other half on #6 TDC. I used to just have the valve numbers on a piece of paper in my toolbox back when I was a mechanic. Hopefully the scan is readable enough...hope it helps. You can also do it cylinder by cylinder if you want.

Basically the theory is to have the camshaft in a position where the valves are closed (TDC works, or the chart), then take the play out of the pushrod and tighten it 3/4 to 1 turn more.

rockerarm.jpg

Well I got all the rocker arms done, but now with timing! The further back I twist the distributor the better ther motor runs! But now the vacuum advance on the distributor is on the fire wall an I cant turn it anymore! Also it's running very rich. I brought the #1 cylinder to TDC befor I pulled it, but I jacked the car up so it moved a little would this cause it to be off?

I had that problem when I pulled my HEI. Took me 3 tries to get it where it needed to be. At least I could stand in front with the shroud out to make the reinstall easier.

Wel when I pulled it the rotor button was facing the #1 cylinde and now it's pointing at the back of the carb! Could I just pick it up and turn it back to the left?

Yep.

The problem is that the distributor engages the oil pump with something like a screwdriver blade at the bottom...and the distributor has that curved gear so when you start to lift the distributor out, it rotates the oil pump as you lift the dist out. The trick is to be able to set it back in where you want it and get the oil pump to engage and distributor all the way down.. You may have to rotate the oil pump a bit with a long screwdriver, or some prefer to rotate the engine while lightly pushing down on the dist to get it to drop into place.

If you only need to move it one tooth, it probably won't be that complicated. It might just be as simple as it sounds, and you won't have to deal with the oil pump shaft alignment at all. It's just good to know what's happening in there.

sounds like its still off. Here is the service manual page for installing the distributor when the engine has been disturbed. Hopefully following this will help...If its too small to read let me know and I'll try something else.

002.jpg

• 1 month later...