Turn signals - blinking too fast

jja

Common problem I suspect. I think they are too fast but don't know for sure. Changed the flasher with the old style thermal flasher but no difference. None of the bulbs are burnt out but I am pulling each one, cleaning the socket and replacing. Any other ideas?

Im chasing the same issue I was told possable ground problem but I havent found it yet. Check to see if the front side markers are blinking also, someone said they are suppose to be and mine are not eather. I have to trace the wire to find the ground that may be it. I just havent taken the time to track it down but its one of my winter projects this year.

So question does this FAST FLASH happen on both sides or just one? If on both it's not a burned out bulb or missing bulb then as unlikely to affect both sides.

Common for BOTH is A) flasher but you replaced that.

B) Ground common to the flasher unit circuit.

I don't have the wiring diagram but think I saw someone post it here on line. If I remember correctly there is a common ground for this circuit that runs to the dimmer switch located on the drivers LEFT foot on the floor.

Do you have any issues with high/low beam on the headlights? If you turn ON the headlights does the flashing get slower? If you hit the dimmer switch does it affect this at all?

If only on 1 side then it could be a) bad ground on one of the lights but it should be out or not working to full capacity B) burned out bulb or possible someone changed to an LED or lower wattage bulb causing a load decrease which would cause that side to possibly flash fast.

Take out the flasher unit and replace it (if you can find one cheap) and electronic flasher unit and install it. Any change?

As for the side marker front flashing with the turn signals I don't think GM changed them to do this till later. I am not sure others can confirm this. If you want them to be parking lights and then flash with the turn signals (alternate) that can be wired up easy enough. If you maybe putting in LED lights you will need the electronic flasher and bypass using a load equalizer as they sell everyone. Your reason for the load resistor it to stop the FAST FLASH but electronic flashers don't care what the LOAD on the circuit is it just starts and stops the juice to make the light flash.

Hope any of that is helpful.

Let us know what you find and if fixed what it was....it helps others with same issue.

Good luck

Regards

Scott

I cannot remember if our Montes have the four way flashers. I need to uncover mine and check it out later today. If it does then there are two flashers and maybe you replaced the wrong one.

they have two flashers, the other one is above the steering column

ditto

Replace both with electonic flashers and see if the issue goes away. If you don't want to trace wires etc. Since it's simple plug n play easiest thing to do and only costs a few $ for the flashers...That is if on BOTH sides....

Scott

The flasher in the fuse panel is for the four way flashers and the one on the steering column is for the turn signal. Mounted there to resonate on the column. The heavy duty flashers are louder.

Didn't know about the other flasher on the steering column. Where exactly and how to replace?

BTW, the turn signals on both sides flash fast.

Didn't know about the other flasher on the steering column. Where exactly and how to replace?

BTW, the turn signals on both sides flash fast.

If you take off the panel below the steering column you can likely look up on top (most) of the column and see the flasher and reach up and remove it and replace with a heavy duty electronic one. If both sides FLASH fast then it could be a main ground common to both or this flasher. So replace it first and see. When you put on the 4 ways do they ALSO flash FAST? IF so it is a GROUND (IMO) issue and not the flasher, but I'd still change out the flasher units to eliminate them as a possibility so your not chasing your tail.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Regards

Scott

Interestingly, the four way emergency flashers do not blink fast. They blink at the usual speed. I replaced the flasher near the fuses with a flasher that the Autozone guy said would work.. He referred to it as a thermal flasher, as opposed to an electronic one. Is one type preferred over the other? And is the one near the steering column similar to the one near the fuses? Just want to make sure I know what to look for.

Interestingly, the four way emergency flashers do not blink fast. They blink at the usual speed. I replaced the flasher near the fuses with a flasher that the Autozone guy said would work.. He referred to it as a thermal flasher, as opposed to an electronic one. Is one type preferred over the other? And is the one near the steering column similar to the one near the fuses? Just want to make sure I know what to look for.

You can use an electonic flasher in both and you can replace or swap out one for the other as I am pretty sure both are 2 prong units. But I would use the electronic flasher as it is not load dependant like the others ones...but tha't just me.

So yes the one above the column is the same as the one on the fuse block as it plugs in the same way.

Scott

Are all of the bulbs standard type 12 volt bulbs? (Some of the bulbs from China are inferior) A rapid flash I believe indicates an overloaded or higher loaded circuit. The 4 Way handles more bulbs. Have you swapped the standard flasher with the 4 Way flasher to see what happens? I used to tow a small trailer and it flashed too quickly when attached. I would use my 4 Way flasher whenever the trailer was attached and it worked fine. There isn't a trailer harness spliced in, in the trunk, is there?

Good luck,

Bruce

Problem fixed. It was the flasher underneath the steering column. Thanks for the help.

Glad it was a simple fix thanks too for letting us know.

Regards

Scott

Steve, perhaps it was made in China like the bulbs I bought that were made in China and I had to throw them all out. The base was made way undersized (measured vs US made bulb) so they didn't fit tightly enough in the socket therefore didn't work all the time. JUNK!