What's correct for 1971 St. Louis SS?

lastss

What was the Orginal hedlight? Powerbeam or T3?, Did rear speaker car's have the package tray with mesh in them were the speakers go?. Did bumper jack come with cover? Thank's Bob

The head lights should be power beam models. The 2 headlight system using T3 lights was discontinued in 1969 I think.

As far as I know, the jack should have a plastic cover.

------------------

If you get out of your car without needing to change your pants, you weren't driving fast enough.

70 SS454 clone - Cortez Silver with functional cowl induction

70 SS454 Shadow Gray

[This message has been edited by iceman (edited 09-19-2003).]

One of the headlamps in my car is the original headlamp. I was not aware of this until I was at a meet and some guy wanted to buy my headlight off the car. He said the way you can tell an original from a reproduction is if you look at the headlamp real close you can see the Chevy Bowtie in the ridges of the headlamp.... I don't know if he was pulling my leg or not but when I looked at the one headlamp I could see the bowtie.... And they said Chevrolet didn't put the bow tie emblem on our first gen Monte's.

I can't answer the package tray except to say if there was not a speaker the package tray was just plain. I am trying to remember but I don't think they originally had two speakers in the rear and if there was a speaker in the rear it was mounted on the passenger side of the tray... don't take that as gospel though.

Regarding the jack cover. I don't think it was available in 1970 but I think in 71 it became standard.

Rob

------------------

To access my website click on the picture or link below.

images.ca..."

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain.com/id/robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

bowtie.... And they said Chevrolet didn't put the bow tie emblem on our first gen Monte's.

I can't answer the package tray except to say if there was not a speaker the package tray was just plain. I am trying to remember but I don't think they originally had two speakers in the rear and if there was a speaker in the rear it was mounted on the passenger side of the tray... don't take that as gospel though.

Rob

Two speakers in the rear came standard on stereo cars. Non stero cars could have one rear speaker on the passengers side as an option. I have not seen an original Monte with the mesh rear shelf in this area. None of the ones I've owned since 1975 had a mesh rear shelf.

------------------

Steve

Did rear speaker car's have the package tray with mesh in them were the speakers go?.

My 71 had metal grills with built in studs. The underside of the speakers had cardboard insulated covers that were held on by one center clip. (If I remember correctly)

The cardboard package tray itself was painted cardboard.

I replaced mine with a newer (1980) style fuzzy carpet like tray a neighbor made at the Tech Ctr. It has holes in the cardboard but you don't need speaker grills because the carpet hides them.

Bruce

------------------

Original Owner since May 14 1971 montesm.jpg

My 71 had metal grills with built in studs. The underside of the speakers had cardboard insulated covers that were held on by one center clip. (If I remember correctly)

The cardboard package tray itself was painted cardboard.

You remember correctly.

------------------

Steve

As far as speaker grilles. If you got the rear speaker option (standard with some packages) these are the grilles for a '71. Make sure he sends studs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433890965&category=6755

The '70 grilles were similar but the corners were a bit rounded rather than squared off.

Dan,

Those grilles look like the correct ones used up to & including the 70 models. The studs are welded to the backside.

These are the correct ones for 71 & up models, they also have the studs welded to the back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...bayphotohosting

------------------

'70 Monte Carlo, Forest Green Metallic w/black vinyl top, Dark Green Metallic Interior

community.webshots.com/user/wv_moonshiner

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mr70monte

278787_3_full.jpg

If you see this car on a trailer, call 911, because it's stolen!