Got to the Dyno today

CrazyDavey

thanks Greg...yeah Scott Foxwell put a ton of time into the heads, that was one on the reasons he wanted to do the project, to see what he could do with the heads. He has worked with Dart, Tony Mamo at AFR and worked for Allan Johnson so he's had some good mentoring. Most of the gain was in bringing up the bad port sides to match the good port sides. He even swapped out the 2.25 intakes for 2.30's to see if there was a benefit. Turned out that was not the way to go because it killed the low lift numbers, he went back to the 2.25's. The compression mostly came from putting a better quench in. The Mahle pistons had a slightly bigger dome but the quench went from .061 to .039.

I'm heading for Vegas for the first PSCA race of the season on Thursday, we'll see how she runs up there, it'll be in some altitude so it will be a little down on power, I'm nervous as hell. The nice thing is my cam designer and engine builder told me there's another 60-70hp waiting for me if I want to put a solid roller in it... grin

It looks awesome on paper as per your dyno numbers. I hope it performs as good if not better than you had expected. Good luck racing on Thursday. Please let us know what happens at the track.

Dayum Davey. Everyone is avoiding the question that everyone wants to ask. So you know I will.

hat does a 760 HP race engine cost?

You don't have to answer that one big guy. But we ALL want to know. Scott doesn't work for free and Chris sells his cams by the gram. I talked a local guy to get with Chris last week to grinding him up a cam his 496 will like. Chris said it would be done in a week or two.

You keep inspiring me to sell off some of the hot rods and build a fast race car like the Velle. If it sounds like I am egging you on, I am. However, I can't more proud of what you, Chris, and Scott have done with deep pockets and an insane level of attention to detail.

And before you get your undies in a bunch over the "racecar" comment. What seperates a race car from a street car?. I will give you a hint. It has to do with stickers.LOL

lol....that's what I tell people Andy....I put some stickers on it so now it's a race car!! However when I happen to end up in the winner's circle from time to time those stickers pay $$...it's always cool to get a check that says Edelbrock on it. It still has all it's street legal parts on it, I just have no desire to drive it on the street.

As you know being a desperate senior I have to find creative ways to make those government entitlement checks go farther. Scott contacted me about helping out with the engine update. He's been following the car, wants to make a mark with the drag race crowd (most of his work has been with boats) and also wanted to play with the heads. We worked out a deal for some advertising and some future work on his website. Bottom line was that it cost me about half of what it would have, for Scott's work around $4000. Chris had also agreed to give Dal and I some sponsorship at his cost parts and we also have done a lot of work on his site too. Chris is the major supplier for crazydaveyracing.com so we have a very good relationshiop with Chris (he's flying out to Vegas this weekend to see the car). I probably have another $2700 in parts in it through Chris.

Scott and I decided the whole build was going to be about detail not just throw a bunch of parts at it so the build is really very similar to what I had, just better. Chris told me when I finally cave he'll grind me a solid roller that will push it well over 800hp, I told him as soon as I figure out this one.

Loading up the trailer today, heading for Vegas tomorrow. I appreciate your words Andy, it means a lot!! Davey

lol....that's what I tell people Andy....I put some stickers on it so now it's a race car!! However when I happen to end up in the winner's circle from time to time those stickers pay $$...it's always cool to get a check that says Edelbrock on it. It still has all it's street legal parts on it, I just have no desire to drive it on the street.

As you know being a desperate senior I have to find creative ways to make those government entitlement checks go farther. Scott contacted me about helping out with the engine update. He's been following the car, wants to make a mark with the drag race crowd (most of his work has been with boats) and also wanted to play with the heads. We worked out a deal for some advertising and some future work on his website. Bottom line was that it cost me about half of what it would have, for Scott's work around $4000. Chris had also agreed to give Dal and I some sponsorship at his cost parts and we also have done a lot of work on his site too. Chris is the major supplier for crazydaveyracing.com so we have a very good relationshiop with Chris (he's flying out to Vegas this weekend to see the car). I probably have another $2700 in parts in it through Chris.

Scott and I decided the whole build was going to be about detail not just throw a bunch of parts at it so the build is really very similar to what I had, just better. Chris told me when I finally cave he'll grind me a solid roller that will push it well over 800hp, I told him as soon as I figure out this one.

Loading up the trailer today, heading for Vegas tomorrow. I appreciate your words Andy, it means a lot!! Davey

Good luck in Vegas. I found at least on Bu is besides a two pound bump in the RR air spring, I didnt have to touch the rear suspension when I put in the 505. Hopefully, your car will react the same with the added power. You remember how long I chased gremlins in the butt of the Malibu last year. Turns out 10.20s are a joke with a 1.60 60 foot,lol.

And something tells me you will be doing a gear swap here soon. I found that Bu walled at 141 whether I sprayed it or not with the 3.55s. Doing 3.08s today even after a two inch taller tire. Nothing worse than a 150 shot of happy gas netting only .3 and no MPH. Simply ran out of gear and I don't think any big block is very happy trapping at 7200. But the 5.80 in the 1/8th was nice.

It still blows me away how your 509 makes around 120 horse more than my 496 I just pulled, but with a HR. The one thing I hated about the old engine was adjusting the valves every 5-6 passes. And you could tell by the numbers when they went south, the damn thing would lose three MPH.

And those checks. You know, the ones without the Statue of Liberty are nice. Haven't competed in a few years but I do remember a certain 69 SS 396 Chevelle in my garage that was covered in contingency stickers that in one night got me 12 checks totaling almost $3500, plus a $2k check for the win. Couldn't get a street race with it to save my life and I only ran muffs because of hypersensitive hearing. But it still had tags.

But you have proven you don't get old, you get better. I am truly proud of you. Now go get some money for your efforts. And remember, Dal is not only your freind, he is your competition. Enjoy many meals at his expense. Your RT says you are as good as any. You aligned yourself with a few really good people. And my idol, Warren Johnson raced until he was 72. You got plenty of time to get it from right to perfect.

Three things I want for you.

1. Mid 9 second timeslip

2. Required parachute and window net

3. Lots of trophies

Andy

thanks Andy....I left the 3:73's in there for just that reason, I don't know how much gear it's going to want. I'm still on my 28" tires just because I couldn't afford new ones but plan to go to 29's just to increase the contact (these '67's are tire space challenged). I'm going to try a brake for the first time so that will add to the unknown, Dal said his actually hooked better with the brake because it hit the tires harder into the ground....we'll see....I think I have a ways to go before I'm in chute territory but hopefully I'll need that window net and a cage conversion.

The weather will be cool so the DA should be down but the baro will be the key, still the track is at 2000' to start with so it will be down on power some. I'm really not expecting 9's up there, I think low 10's would be good for Vegas, best it ran up there before was high 30's low 40's at about 3000'.

Thanks Shawn!!

Dave, I mainly pray that everyone stays safe and the car stays in one piece. Again I'm not expecting 9's up there, maybe Fontana next week or in March....thanks!!

If you can get in the 9's with a hydraulic roller I say leave it alone. Adjusting valves at all sucks and especially at the track. I was wondering if you would be willing to put me in touch with Scott Foxwell? I'd be curious if there is anything that he could do to my heads to squeeze out some more power both now and limit my power losses when I go back to a hydraulic roller that is more street friendly with a smaller carb. I wish you all the best in Vegas. You really make me want to make at least one pass just to know. I'd need to pick up some cheap wheels and some 28x9x15 slicks to do the job. My dyno guy still wants me to spray my engine with a progressive 300 shot. He believes I can run mid to high 9's all day. That would be great if he was willing to replace the parts that are going to break. Alas I have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Greg you can reach Scott at 805 350-1159...do me a fav and tell him Davey sent you...I don't remember which heads you have but if they're out of the box (or even if they've had work done) Scott can make them better. For a hyd roller you gotta go custom with Chris Straub, you can go direct or through me. I can pretty much guarantee you will not lose any power with a hyd roller from Chris if everything else is right. I'm also hearing very good things about the new 950 HP series carb from Holley. Apparently they did some homework on these and guys are saying they're good outta the box...thanks for the good wishes!!

Davey I talked to Scott today. He is a really good guy. He gave it to me straight and didn't try and sell me on something i didn't need. He gave me both good news and bad news. The bad is my top end is too big for the size of my engine and the car it sets in, but when I go to rebuild it he gave me a wealth of info that will make my engine perform much better both on the street and should I choose to at the track. Looks like I'll be selling my whole top end as a package and going with a set of AFR BBC 290 full CNC ported heads, Victor Jr intake, 4150 style carb, and a cam designed by Chris. I just wonder how much I can get for the top end package for. Scott states it would be awesome for a guy with a lighter car who spins 7,000rpm's. The dreaming begins.

Hey Greg, glad you had a chance to talk to him, he knows his stuff. Yeah he even thinks my 305's are a tad big for what I'm doing but they will be perfect if I ever decide to crank it up with a bigger solid roller. You saw what he did with my tiny hyd roller, there's tons of potential there.

If you decide to upgrade the other good news is your current stuff will be easy to sell, my pardner Dal unloads everything on Racingjunk with a lot of success. If I can help you in any way with parts let me know, I have a business relationship with Chris on parts....Davey