Dash Resto pics, speaker woes solved.

Machtuck

Thanks to Dennis and others on this forum who guided me through the process of posting pictures. I am not exactly computer savy.

I have taken some pics of the resto and found the job to be easier than I thought. After reinstalling the dash, I thought that i damaged the printed circuit in the process. After taking the dash back out, i found that it was indeed in good shape. I did however replace it anyways.

Gary the Tachman in south carolina did an oil pressure conversion from the lackluster amp gauge. I actually sent him the whole gauge cluster and callibrated tach, speedo, gas gauge, and added a new quartz clock assembly. He also polished the plastic cover. The only element that went amiss was the fact that I did not ship the cluster exactly like he said (package it). Unfortunately, the cluster itself was in 63 pieces. As a result, i had to order the new backing from Ausley's at $110.

I have to say that Gary did a remarkable job and his prices were reasonable.

As far as the driver side speaker is concerned, I simply built some aluminum strap brackets and the interference is little to nil. As you will see in the pics, I used some packing foam as well. Here is the link to My Photobucket Dash album.

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/Psychomonte/Dash%20Restoration/

Jerry,

Nice looking dash! The clock upgrade will work great for a long time.

Question, what would warn you if the charging system would fail?

Bruce

Hey, Jerry, nice job on the dash! Those analog gauges sure look better than the idiot lights and you still have a very uncluttered, stock-looking appearance. Congratulations on sharing your project albumn with us via the link!

I am facing a stereo speaker decision soon as I only have the new radio installed so far and my car just had a single center speaker. I need to get a different dash pad first so no hurry, but, if I may ask, whose speakers those are that you installed in the front corners and where did you buy them? Looks like they fit without a lot of bracket modifications, but that may not be correct.

I'm too old for mega-wattage and loud noises so I just want something that will install easily and be audible above normal road/traffic noise while cruising (with the windows down, of course). grin

That is also what I am looking for Dennis. Good sound and speakers that I can turn up the volume on when real classic comes on the radio or CD "Born to Be Wild" anything BTO, Led Zepplin, James Gang, Eagles and Chicago my all time favorite band along with others.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Bruce to answer your question, i never really had any indication for loss of DC. My amp gauge remained at zero reguardless of load. Should i switch on headlights and other accessories, it would flicker but never indicate the amount of amperage draw. If i lose a generator on the plane i fly, i get a " gen fail" annunciator. No joy on the monte.

Dennis, they are ken harrison ( kenwood) 40 watt chevelle "direct bolt in" 4" speakers that i purchased from NPD for $92. They sound very good and the magnet on drivers side is tight but not in contact with the printed circuit or harness. If you need more info on the brackets or installation, please send me a pm.

I need to send the final product pics as i detailed the silver trim and polished the burlwood. Also, i pulled the ac ducts and vent assembly and applied POR-15 to the entire firewall and dash frame.

The problem with these older autos is the lack of grounds. If you'll notice on the pic the top of the dash, around the headlight switch, i placed a groundstrap. This added some marginal effectiveness ( noticeably) to the dash lighting and instruments.

Once again thanks for the kind words. It's great to be part of a awesome forum.

Jerry did you happen to mesure the magnets on them speakers? The ones I have are 2 1/2 in diameter but I think they should be a bit smaller on the left side. The one on mine is just setting in place no mounting at all. I really havent looked to closly as to how to correct it but thats coming soon. Great job on yours.

• 9 months later...

The dash looks great. I was looking at the Dashmans site and saw lots of prices for individual gauges and calibration. How much did that completed dash run you?

Aren't front speakers using a ceramic assembly vs magnetic to avoid interferance with the gages?? Was speaking with a guy who has a 71 Chevelle SS and he was telling me that he had to get the original speakers rebuilt as the magnetic ones he installed kept messin with his tach..........

The only issue that i have had is the oil pressure gauge was intermitten. Upon a quick investigation, i discovered debris in the sending unit. Problem solved.

As far as the cost...well, it was about $700. This included a new dash cluster from ausley's. The old one was destroyed thanks to my not taking care to package it correctly when i sent it off. Well worth the price.

Car is almost done. Just finished complete ac resto and currently putting together a 30 over 454 just for fun. Will post pics when i get a chance.