Paint or Dye

willie

Redoing the steering wheel of the 72 custom. Its code NK2 vinyl covered. Do i paint it with plastic paint or do i get the dye and dye it? Also what color black do i use for the column, gloss or satin?

Thanks Willie

Dupont has a vinyl that comes in low med or hi gloss. Most interiors are of the medium gloss finish. I would not call it a dye or paint but a resin. The resin is what gives it the different gloss's. If you use it on a seat or door panel it will eventually wear off. I have never found anything that will penetrate vinyl and change the color. Also they do make an adhesion promoter that helps make it last longer. The promoter opens the pores of the vinyl so the resin does bite into the vinyl.

I did my daughters Pontiac 6000 20 years ago and she drove it for 6 years and it still looked new when I sold the car. I used the Dupont Vinyl and it matched the dark blue interior perfectly

Willie any paint store that sells automotive paint that they mix on site should have a Vinyl that would work. I am only familiar with Dupont because I have worked there for most of the past 12 years. PPG has automotive an paint and should have the vinyl. I have worked with a couple of others over the years but the names escape. at the moment you know old timers keeps getting in the way. A couple of other names that suddenly popped into the memory are Ditzler and Dymont pay no attention to my spelling but that is what the names sound like. The vinyl stuff is not cheap by any means but automotive paint has had 4 price increases in the last 14 months.

CK, Back at you.

Larry, Thanks there is an automotive paint supplier close to me i will try on Mon. I will write the names down so as to have some idea when i get there.

Thanks Again everyone

Willie

• 2 weeks later...

Larry went to the paint supplier and he knew of the Dupont resin but doesnt stock it. He also said it would be expensive, i asked him how much, he said about $70. I thought that was a bit much for what i wanted and needed it for. He hooked me up with something that all the paint restorers use SEM color coat for about $15. I think it looks great.

Thanks for the help

Willie

SEM does make a lot of great products. I have used their Trim Black on a lot of exterior and interior trim pieces. I thought your trying to color seats and door panels when I suggested the Dupont. $70 is about right for 1/2pt of vinyl resin color but that 1/2pt goes a long ways.

Whoa, Willie, what an amazing transformation! Beautiful work - looks better than new! Did you do all that yourself?

Larry, the guy said it was great stuff. I just could not justify the cost for only the steering wheel. So i cheeped out rather than letting the unused portion just sit on the shelf.

Dennis, its funny because, yes i did it all myself but i had to grab my son so he could post the pics here.LOL I am so comp challenged its truly ashame.

Thanks guys first one i did, I did break the buzzer switch cleaning it. Had to take it out of a parts car.