new headers

monte70car

Since we put the small block back in dad wanted new headers for it. here is the small block back in its home header002.jpg now we have run into issue with the header figured the passenger side would be easy to install but we had to pull the idler arm off the frame. here is one issue we ran into header001.jpg the front tube hits the trans line, brake line and the gas line two of the three are bolted in the stock location. one last issue we are running into is how low the header is header004.jpg and the fact the center link hits the second tube on the header when the wheels are turned to the right. I have been in contact with the vendor and they say the motor is to low in the frame, what do you all think motor is moved 3/4" forward for an HEI system.

That reminds me: I have a set of C-clamps made by a company called "adjustable".

Gosh, whatever you do, make sure you get adjustable C-clamps! LOL

Yeah - the standard Hedmans don't work so well... I went through the same thing. Must've went through 5 pairs from different manufacturers before finding the right ones.

For small block on our chassis you are best with the block-huggers from hedman. Stay away from the Long tubes...

Try these:

HEDMAN 68863 ELITE 1-1/2 Primary 2-1/2 Collector

They look damn good:

IMG_20111114_123857.jpg

They are really high-quality in weight and build as well... great sound when paired with Dynomax Turbo mufflers.

Matt I had no issue putting headman on my big block Monte. That header is in our 57 nomad. Might have to give the drivers side a try and see if its just the passenger side header is the issue or the whole set is wrong. With the original mount in place the motor is 3/4" forward and sits at the correct height personal think its a bad design on the passenger side. We did put one of the ole 3/4 length headers on and it went in, in two minutes and we different have to use two jacks. I'm sure headman will provide the steps we need to take and they might want to see if the drivers side fits so they know if its a matter of shipping one header back or shipping both back.

Have you ever been on the 55-57 modified forum at chevytalk.com? There's alot of guys there that have likely been thru this already.

Dan

Matt I had no issue putting headman on my big block Monte. That header is in our 57 nomad. Might have to give the drivers side a try and see if its just the passenger side header is the issue or the whole set is wrong.

Ahh - it is a Nomad... got it.

Well - best of luck... leave yourself plenty of clearence to account for the torquing. maybe switch to some Hooker Comps if you really want the Long Tube... they seem to be run a bit better.

X2.

I would check with a forum that works on these cars.If you unbolt the header and move it back 3/4" does it clear?I would figure headers for a 55-57 would be a snap.I've done a couple of sets back in the day,but most were fenderwell style.If you have the option to send them back and get another brand or refund,go for it.I would stay away from shorties if you want a power increase.They fit well,sound good and the price is right but they don't make anywere near the power of a quality set of long tubes.

Good luck.

Have you ever been on the 55-57 modified forum at chevytalk.com? There's alot of guys there that have likely been thru this already.

Dan

Well the last email from the vendor was no one makes a set of headers for a tri-5 when the motor is moved forward 3/4". To me I find that hard to believe as we got 3/4 length headers that worked. goodies006.jpg the coating on the headers came off and was rusting. Now here is the passenger side header which we have to modified to get to work. driversside003.jpgWe have to put a dent in that tube to clear the center link. now maybe if the motor was in the stock place it might have fit. Also here is where it hits the lines driversside004.jpg and here is the drivers side that fell in place driversside002.jpg