rear springs again

Hi all, I know this has been kicked around a few times shocked

I am about to do the rear springs on my 71 Monte,I am planning on using Moog 5501's i think these are the variable type. what i need to know is the ride height(ground to quarter panel above wheel) you have with them,I have right now 24 3/8" from floor to 1/4 panel with my old springs.I am running 235 60 15's all around.

I want to have it at approx 26" you thoughts on springs or height?

thanks Bill

I installed the same springs last fall but my car is still in storage or I'd measure for you. I'm putting in some coil risers soon to bring it up another inch as well. The variable rate springs will keep it from sagging when you have people in the back seat or something heavy in the trunk. If you wish to get some good height without risers, you may wish to go with El Camino springs instead as others in the club have done.

I have the CC501 on mine with 255 60 15 mine sits at 25 1/4 it has air shocks but have a minimal ammount of air in them, just enough to blow up the bags and not raise it up. It raised it up over an inch and a half over the stock oe springs but they were very weak. Remember the cargo coils are usuly a little shorter then the stock springs so dont get nervous when you line them up also order new upper insulators and remember tight coils to the top. Good luck.

Hi all, I know this has been kicked around a few times shocked

I am about to do the rear springs on my 71 Monte,I am planning on using Moog 5501's i think these are the variable type. what i need to know is the ride height(ground to quarter panel above wheel) you have with them,I have right now 24 3/8" from floor to 1/4 panel with my old springs.I am running 235 60 15's all around.

I want to have it at approx 26" you thoughts on springs or height?

thanks Bill

I used to have BFG 235/60-15's on my car. With Moog CC501 coils the ground to quarter panel height (measured at the hub) was 25" exactly.

Install Air Bags....

ditto

Installed Airlift bags in the rear springs of my blue '70 and terminated individual lines and schrader valves in the frame crossmember near the gas filler neck with easy access when the license plate is pulled down. Now have at least 3" of height adjustment based on air pressure, as well as, load and ride compensation.

You can even get fancy (I didn't) by getting an onboard air pump and cockpit controls. These systems are built for leveling RVs so they can easily handle your Monte's weight.

Gabriel Air shocks.. easy way out of it. Though I need to buy a new set, last time one of my lower ball joints decide to go south on me, and the car took a nose dive, and onto the pavement. Somehow it broke the left rear air shock right from the shaft. I put on some pressurized shocks, and the ride is not the same. The air shock ride felt much stiffer.

Here is a shot of my Monte with El Camino springs.

CIMG0982.jpg

The rear wheels are 17" and the tire height is 27.88 inches. It was a very stiff setup but good on cornering. I have since gone back to stock HD springs with 1" inch spacers for better front to back weight transfer. Current setup is now maybe an 1 to 1 1/2" lower. Hope this helps. - Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bill, here's how I looked at the situation. Replacing the coils with 501's won't break the bank. Then drive the car and when you park it, take a good look at the stance/height and if it's not what you had hoped for, then take the next step with spacers or air shocks. You'll end up with the height you want right away or after another step and a few bucks more.

Just my 2 cents. smile

Cheers,

Larry