Frame on restoration

Chevyss

I'm trying to formulate a plan for a restoration of the 70 I just bought. I don't want to do a frame off because I really don't have the place, equipment or time. I just want to start to rebuild it and wondered if anyone has a game plan that has worked for them. The car is all original and has not been driven since 1988. It's not a very heavyly optioned car, has AC, and that's about it. Just want to make it a nice driver for cruise nights and trips around Washington. I never had a plan on the other 70 and I went way to far with it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and fun to drive, it just isn't much for the street anymore. Sure would like to find it a home and spend the money on the other one. There has to be someone who wants a race car out there. Thanks in advance

Royce, I can tell you that with my car, I basically started from the frame down, did all the lines,suspension,brakes,etc.... everything is completely new and 100% reliable, then moved on to the body then finally the interior.As a matter of fact, I drove it for at least a 1 1/2 years with the ratty green interior in it. This is by no means is a high dollar thing Im driving compared to everyone elses car. The motor ended up being fine, other than an intake and carb, I left it alone, along with the rest of the driveline, when something goes wrong there, Ill do the entire thing, until then, its just fine

With my 70, I did some restoration work (extarior paint, engine cleanup/paint) to make it look nice and have just maintained it since. The interior will need freshening in the next couple years. It runs really well and I have no issues hopping in it and driving 1,000+ miles.

My way of doing things is to let sleeping dogs lie. For example, my 70 has run well since I got it and so I've never pulled the engine or tranny. I make small improvements each year and do the necessary maintenance when needed. This keeps me from getting into the snowball effect that costs more money and time. I prefer to keep driving it rather than it sitting in pieces in the garage. I've gotten over 15 years of enjoyment out of it and has not cost me too much.

Royce, frame ons are def the way to go for a cruiser. That is how I did my 70.

Started with body bushings. Went to frame, suspension, then brakes. From there I got the body done. I taped it off and detailed the undercarriage. I did do a few things to car while in paint. I pulled the engine, trans, tank, shocks, and anything that i didn't want to deal with overspray on. The body guy pulled everything including all the glass. When it got back I threw it up in the air and put all the mechanicls back in. After that I got busy on the interior.

I started the project in Jan 2007 and by September I was driving it. Even with 5 months at the body shop. Few people work the way I do, but you can problably get it done in under a year depending on who paints the car. I made the mistake of giving the body guy money up front, taking his motivation away.

Kind of doing a frame on myself but starting with the front half. Since the motor was being replaced, it was the right time to do the engine compartment and the bushings all needed to be replaced anyway. Preparing the firewall and frame in my garage was the least enjoyable part of the project, but it's sure nice putting clean parts back together. smile

I plan on doing a frame off for my 71SS but no immediate plans to start that project. I'm learning a lot and doing some experimenting on the frame on that I think will come in handly when I go for the SS.

Royce mine has been a frame on resto / mod since I got it. I started with the engine and front suspension back when I got it. Cleaned and painted the frame from the firewall forward. Rebuilt the engine to stock specs. Since then I have changed from a Qjet to a Edelbroc carb then to the fuel-injection that is on it. I then had it painted and redid the interior. Next came new parts for the rear suspension and posi/gears. Someday I plan a frame off to go back and make some things better / fix some of the things I may have taken shortcuts on...

I'm smack dab in the middle of my "frame on" resto. Much like the ones mentioned above I have taken sections to work on at a time. First I got all the wireing repaired or replaced. Then I worked on performance and then detailing the engine department. I let the Monte dictate to me at times what it wants done. With the weather being so nice lately I wish I had it to drive. But Noooo, The Monte wanted a paint job instead. So in Jan I started the strip-down and still counting days till done. That's when the "snow-ball" effect starts for sure.

So my suggestion is do all the small things while driving and enjoying your ride. Make sure all the simple stuff is out of the way so you know what you have first. Your Monte will let you know when and how it wants to be done grasshopper.

Have Fun!

Lots of sound advice..dont pay the body man up front..been there done that got the scars..dont bite off more than you can chew..if you go frame off what i call the "domino effect" takes place..this part is too cherry to bolt to that part...and so on and so on and son..pretty soon 5 years go by and your hoping you can get it done in 111 day 15 hours..

Royce,

Mine has been a frame on through multi-phases over the decades. Critical body work, paint, interior, engine, electrical, front suspension and currently rear end. There have been hundreds of little projects along the way or so it seems. In retrospect a frame off would have been more efficient but like you said you need the space. The only way to avoid the snowball effect is like others have said only fix what absolutely needs fixing. That's what I've been doing with my daily driver and it's worked for the last 18 years.

To avoid the going too far problem, assess all aspects of any mods you are considering. 4.10 gears might be cool but not practical for long distance cruising.

Good luck