clearance queston

vince

I just installed a remote mirror and it appears to be to close to the window 1/4" or less is this correct? Second question is for the marker lights. When lights are on is the entire marker lit up of just one end of it?

Not sure about the mirror, but the side markers only partly light up. I'm not sure why they made them that way....maybe it's to keep the hole in the fender small.

I was kind of suprised when I turned the lights on and all I saw was this little red sopt. Any idea what the rest of the marker is used for?

Just measured my factory remote mirror and the closet point (near the bottom radius) is 1/2".

tippinghat.gif

I wonder why my mirror is so close to the window. When I bought the car it had plastic bullet type mirrors, I think they are aftermarket. I like the look of the chrome ones but if I can't roll the window down, I might have to go back the plastic ones. As for the markers is there a way take them apart and clean them up?

As far as cleaning the marker lense try mothers polish (test a spot first thats not visible later).

I`ve cleaned plastic headlight lense` with mothers and they looked brand new when finished, no scratches or swirls.

What year is your car?

A 72 custom had a similar type mirror you are talking about, I don`t know if it was plastic though.

The car is a 70. The mirror is a black plastic.

Specifically what type of mothers polish did you use?

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, part # 05101.

I`ve also used it on plastic license plate covers and cleared them right up.

I can get a mirror finish on my wheels with it also... lol

I have a '70 SS that has a remote rear view mirror and as it is also noted on the build sheet,I am assuming that it is the one that came on it from the factory. The mirror is mounted in a curved section of the door so looking closly at the plastic "gasget" the mirror sits on; you should see a wedge shape with the thicker portion of the wedge close to the window. This offsets the mirror away from the window. If it's not, that may be the root cause of your poblem and not the actual mirror itself. Mine's in the shop for repairs right now so I'm not able to run and take a look at it. I'll look one day next week and confirm what I think I remember. Old age is terrible with respect to memory ..

WOW that might be the root cause of my problem! I didn't even think of looking at the paint gasket. I just slapped it on and bolted it down. Now I have to prepare my arm to get scratch up and remove the mirror.

problem resloved! paint gasket does have a thickened edege.

Thanks for everyones help.

When I took off my marker light lenses, they were clogged up with dirt, I kept spraying water and soap to loosen up the dirt and finally got most of it out of the inside. Even though the light bulb is on one side it iluminates the whole lens at night.

ho BigJim I'll give that a try. I wasn't sure if getting them wet would mess them up.

thanks