Turbo 350 issues

Anybody know what would make a tranny just stop working? I was driving my monte back from town yesterday and all the sudden it kicked out of gear! I pulled her over and checked the tranny fluid and it is full. Tried to put it into gear and nothing. The linkage is all hooked up, but no gears work at all.

I am going to check the vac hose to see if it came loose, but other than that I am at a loss as to what might have gone wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,

Rick

Pull a trans cooler line off and start the engine if you have no oil coming out it could be a front pump issue.

Ditto! Unless the pick-up screen is so plugged that you get nothing, like drawing on a clogged pipe? lol

Pull a trans cooler line off and start the engine if you have no oil coming out it could be a front pump issue.

Thanks for the tip Mr. Bane.

I just tried that, and no fluid came out. I had put a new filter in and cleaned out the oil pan less than 300 miles ago, so I am pretty sure that its not clogged up (as Rod suggested).

So, I guess I have to assume it is a front pump gone bad. Are they hard to replace?

Rick

Take it to a pro you will be glad you did. I had to have a new cable put on my 72's 700R4 and after reading the instructions from the kit I bought I took it to a pro and it works better now than since my bought me the car last Aug.

Well, it looks like the front pump is probably the problem. Could there be anything else that would cause the issue? Or does this sound like it might be the main cause?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your help.

Rick

drop the pan, make sure the filter and pick up tube did not fall of.

thanh

Thats a good idea, and cheaper than a pump, if thats what is wrong. Thanks Thanh,

Rick

thanh

ditto Also what did the fluid look like when you changed it before, a lot of times on the GM trannys if its burnt up real bad and you change it the nice clean fluid will allow the clutches to slip to much and tear them up. Was there a lot if silver sluge in the pan? thats an indacation of worn clutches.

Thanks Steve.

The fluid I drained didn't look burnt, and I didn't notice any silver sludge in it. That doesn't mean it wasn't there, I may not have looked that good for it.

But, as it turns out, my son has a 69 Firebird sitting here with a Turbo 350 in it. It is a good tranny and he wants to convert the bird to a 4 speed anyway so he told me to go ahead and yank that tranny. Mine has a shift kit in it and his doesn't, but that really doesn't matter at this point. Also, mine has a cracked housing near the pilot hole near the starter anyway, so I think this is going to work out just fine.

I would like to thank everyone for your help tho.

Rick

that bird trans may not work.

the bolt pattern is different between chevy and bop.

there was a universal pattern also available.check it before you pull it ,so you dont waist tile.

bob

thanh

Beat me too it, since you just did a service I would check that.

Originally Posted By: 71monteme

thanh

Beat me too it, since you just did a service I would check that.

I dropped the pan today and there is no pickup tube in the Turbo 350. The filter mounts directly to a housing and there are 2 screws holding it in place with a gasket under it.

So I have to assume its the front pump.

Thanks guys,

Rick

Also, I found another Turbo 350 on craigslist for $150 and yesterday I went to look at it and offered the guy $100 and he took it. So, now I have (hopefully) a tranny that will work for me. It doesnt have the shift kit like mine does, but (again hopefully) it will get my monte back on the road for the car show on the 12th.

And even if it doesnt work, it does have a front pump in it.

Thanks again,

Rick