New mill in the works

Heckeng

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, say goodbye to 12.60's buddy....Looks real sweet...lots of luck with the build and I hope all goes smooth!!!!!

I hope I can get her a little closer to your quarter mile time Al, that would be amazing. I honestly have no idea what to expect though. In Bill's Monte, he dipped into the 11's with a stock 502 I think but he has 4.11 gears where I have 3.55's. I'll have more stall, cam, and head though so that will help me out with the lack of gears. If I get in the 11's at all, I will be pretty excited. A dragstrip in St. Louis just re-opened so I will hopefully be able to see what she will do this year yet.

The Velle went into the 11.30's with 3:42's and Red ran 11.60's with 3:73's so I don't think the gears will hold you back much. A 4:10 is too much gear for that combo anyway.... wink

I'm thinking 11.50's grin

Great, in addition to paying for all of this engine junk, I'll have to buy some clean undies too! lol

I hope you're right Sam, that would be amazing. I'm really curious what the cam is going to be but Chris has so much stuff going on he hasn't gotten to it yet. I've been reading a lot of cam theory lately and realizing just how little I really know. I am getting more and more confident that I made the right decision about having one designed instead of ordering an off the shelf cam.

Davey, one thing at a time buddy! Paint can wait! shifter

Originally Posted By: Sam (Bones)
I'm thinking 11.50's grin

Great, in addition to paying for all of this engine junk, I'll have to buy some clean undies too! lol

I hope you're right Sam, that would be amazing. I'm really curious what the cam is going to be but Chris has so much stuff going on he hasn't gotten to it yet. I've been reading a lot of cam theory lately and realizing just how little I really know. I am getting more and more confident that I made the right decision about having one designed instead of ordering an off the shelf cam.

Davey, one thing at a time buddy! Paint can wait! shifter

lol...first things first....11.49 and you'll be buyin' a roll bar too... grin.....trust me, you did the right thing having Chris do the cam... he's got that combo nailed (with a little help from his friends.. wink )....

• 2 weeks later...

Whelp, I received a package in the mail today. It was an exciting one at that! It seems to be sized about where I figured it would be as far as overall duration (230's on intake and exhaust) and lift (low 0.6's) but I know the real detail is in the lobe profiles. It was ground on a 109 which surprised me a little but that ought to make it sound pretty good! I will have to get the ok from Chris about posting it but I figure he won't mind since this is not any super high end all out build.

wow! I expected more duration with those 270cc heads confused

but when it comes to cams....Chris knows best lol

that's not much more than what I'm running now in my 454

Nice! Should be a Mid-range Monster with that cam. Pretty similar specs as the Lunati. A little more lift on the intake and a smidge tighter lobe separation. Should sound sweet.

I was surprised how similar it was too but I have no way to compare the actual lobes as opposed to just the lift and duration at 0.050". Now I have no excuse and need to get working on this thing.

Ok, here are the specs:

230/238 with .620"/.612" lift and ground on a 109 and to be installed at 105.

Scott, based on what me and Chris talked about on the phone on a cam I got for a cutomers 305 headed 496, that is exactly what I thought Chris would throw at you. Ok, not exactly, but 95% of what I thought he would do. Not that Mr. Straub needs his ego stroked any more, but with nothing more than a cam swap and a freshen, we took a 70 496 Z28 from 12.0@112 to 10.86@126. AND, if the rain ever stops, we can get to the tuning. The cam in that beast is about 98% of Daveys' 9.50 cam.The lift is actually identical.

• 1 month later...

Update, it lives grin

img0835up.jpg

I got it started two nights ago, then yesterday took it for its maiden and test voyage to a cruise night. So far, I have around 10 miles on it but it seems to run well and without any major tuning issues at all yet. I have yet to get into it fully yet as I am going easy on it for the first 50-100 miles, just to get things "seated in" if you will. The cam has plenty of vacuum for the brakes and it is much more peppy than the old motor thanks to higher compression and less blow-by. The new converter honestly seems very similar to my old ATI converter, so that is a wash. If anybody wants a nice ATI converter let me know. It was $610 new, anti ballooning plate, stalls around 3500ish with 500lbs lbft of torque. The only issues I have had so far is EVERY one of my hose clamps leaking antifreeze! I guess the new hoses are just softening up. You can actually see some of the antifreeze pooling up in the back bottom of the intake--I hate that as it was so clean and perfect when I put it together! cry2

Performance so far: First gear is a joke, second gear has been able to break loose at any speed that I have tried so far, even with no full throttle. It has been really hot though so the pavement could be greasy making it seem like it has more power than it actually has.

I also changed my valve covers and air cleaner, what do you think of the black on silver look instead of the old all silver?

And lastly, I have a question for you guys who have swapped engines in a monte. . . . How the heck did you do it with a standard cherry picker? I bought one from harbour freight and it was about 8-10 inches too short as far as the boom length goes. It was quite a feat to get it to sit down in place. I ended up having my wife help operate the picker while I wrestled the engine into place and also did some "re-engineering" of the boom that I will not describe so nobody else tries to do something so stupid. shocked In the end it obviously worked though!

rofl I have the same issue with my picker

build an extension for it

remove bumper, grill and bumper filler

or muscle it in there lol

gotta love the long nose of a monte cool

Looks really good Scott!

My cherry picker must have a longer boom, I am able to pull from the front with the car on jack stands and the hood on.

Looks great Scott!! coolSounds like you about have her shook down. How about some vid with that beast running. Your new combo is gonna rip and I see a new best in the future!! grin

David