Big Block Water pump which one? suggestions ?

snomobeelr

Having the engine rebuilt. 454, 60 over 10 to 1. Radiator is a 4 core. Did not have heating issues prior to re-doing the engine. Do I go with a Stock pump or a high volume aluminum Pump? suggestions.

Thanks , Alan

Alan, I basically just did the same build on my now 496 and I went with a Weiand aluminum pump. Upgraded from a Procomp aluminum though they both gave me no issues in cooling the Weiand definately fit much better. The Procomp had to be ground off a little around the timing chain cover to fit properly.

Mike

How do I tell if I have a long or a short pump ? Thanks Davey. Hopfully be geting the Motor and putting it in a month or so. Havent had time to do anything with the car latley..
Here's a basic picture of a short and long water pump...

Short

SUM-312494.jpg

Long

SUM-312461.jpg

As you can see the long style (which came stock on our cars) will have all the mounting points for accessories, the short has none.

My 502 came with a short style and I removed it and put my factory original one on so I could mount everything back up...painted it silver first to make it look more like aluminum though. Besides being very heavy it has worked perfectly fine, eventually I will replace it to shed some weight.