Electrical or Mecahnical Temperature Gauge

Monteman1971

I've always trusted the mechanical temperature gauge over the electrical for whatever reason but I'm thinking of putting an under-dash temperature gauge so I'm looking for opinions.

The reason I'm thinking electrical is because typically for a mechanical gauge it has that large sending unit attached and you have to drill a big whole through the fire wall.

Now I do have the factory temperature gauge but this is a family site so I won't give my opinion of it....lol

Thanks,

Steve

I have no complaints about my eletric Autometer gauge.

I even use it to trigger the electric fan, working great...

Had it installed both in the manifold and now in the cylinder head...

With the gauge package, do you have an idiot light with the Temp gauge or just the gauge? If not, adding a light with a seperate sender may be an option.

I just replaced my mech gauge, and you are right, you need a big hole in the firewall. Especially sux if you already have wires through the same hole - you can't take all those out, run the sensor through, and re-run the wires. Well, I guess you could if like self-torture. I personally like mech better.

Another vote for the "electric" Auto Meter series. So many styles to choose from as well. - Dave

........ ditto

That's what I'm running.

I have the Auto Meter Ultra Lite oil pressure gauge under the dash now, so I'll get a match for the temperature.

I just don't trust the factory gauge, I've had a few issues with it and connections. It's finally working consistantly but it's telling me the cra is running at a constant (what looks to be)160... and with the summer coming I'd rather be sure.

Steve

I have factory gauges with the addition of auto meter sport comp oil press and electric water temp gauges. If I only had one gauge I would want a mechanical. I know what you mean about cutting the huge hole though.

I run electrical gauges. I did have an issue with a oil pressure sending unit once, but I have had issues with mechanical gauges also.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to go for the electrical gauge!

Now does it matter if I put the sending unit in the head or the intake manifold and if I go with the intake manifold should I put it front or back or it doesn't matter?

Steve

Head will read hotter than the intake. I believe the general consensus is to use the manifold. I have used both mech and elec temp gauges and like the electric for the exact reason you say. I like mech for oil pressure though because the electrics don't respond as quickly as the mechanicals for pressure.

I've got mine in the intake...and you've seen where it's mounted...works like a charm. The temp is electric and the oil is mechanical...

and...why not got with the a-pillar pod? not that obvious from outside the car, but right in front of you.....just a thought

Steve you will get the truest reading from the intake manifold (in the front), that's the last point before the water goes back into the radiator. As far as mech vs elec, as long as it's good stuff it's probably a wash. If you want actual readings then mech is best, elec might vary some due to effective grounding, wire size and length... wink

I used the autometer electrical ones on my car Steve, and used the A-pillar pod that Jim mentioned. I personally wasnt big on hanging gauges from the dash, and do like the A-pillar ones, they dont block your view at all, but are clearly visible at all times

Heres a pic from when I was still working on the interior

26213280147_medium.jpg