hot floor pan

monte70car

So after breaking-in my car I had smoke in the car like you would if doing a burn out. With the bottom of the rear seat pulled you could feel the feel from the floor pan. Now my mufflers are under the rear seat I'm not sure how much space I have between the pan the mufflers but I can check that tomorrow. Anyone have a way to keep the heat off the floor pan or is it dyno mat time for that area?

Is the car running LEAN as far as the fuel mixture,if so that will super heat the exhaust system. New exhaust work? Are the mufflers getting a blue tint to them? Also a sign of lean fuel mixture. Sounds to me like the exhaust is getting too hot because of other reasons.JMO!!!

The only change to the exhaust was resonators at the rear. After breaking in the cam yesterday I checked the plugs and they look almost like new with a tint of black. For 30 minutes the water temp stayed at 200 degrees but the timming could be off so ill have to check on it.

Could it be no problem at all? You broke in a cam so you had it in park for 15 to 20 minutes and the motor was at like 2,000 RPM. If it was being driven and the air moving along the bottom of the car would that maybe fix the problem?

Pull the resonators and see what happens. I always go for the most logical before going down different roads.I try not to over think a car problem,the answer is most likly staring you right in the face. Car problems are simple it's over thinking that gets you in trouble.

Something is super heating the exhaust it cant over heat by its self unless there is a restriction.

Could it be no problem at all? You broke in a cam so you had it in park for 15 to 20 minutes and the motor was at like 2,000 RPM. If it was being driven and the air moving along the bottom of the car would that maybe fix the problem?

Good therory but i dont think so,the exhaust should only get so hot as hot as the fuel mixture running thru it(unless restriced).Exhaust doesn't depend on being air cooled,if so they would have cooling fins.smile JMO working with exhaust systems for 30 years.

Originally Posted By: black07ss

Good therory but i dont think so,the exhaust should only get so hot as hot as the fuel mixture running thru it(unless restriced).Exhaust doesn't depend on being air cooled,if so they would have cooling fins.smile JMO working with exhaust systems for 30 years.

I thought Rob said the floor boards were hot. So if a car is setting in park at 2,000 RPM for 20 minutes you don't think the floor boards would not get any hotter than if you were driving the car?

I totaly understand your way of thinking and it would seem to make sense but it still should not heat the floor boards to the exstent that I think rob is describing.Car exhaust can reach temps of 500 degrees F. With the hottest points being the exhaust manifolods/headers, and the catalytic converter. Mufflers have good flow so generally they dont get that hot unless something is causing them to "super heat" as we call it. But of course what your saying makes total sense,with air running past the exhaust it has to run cooler. On modern day cars they install heat shields above the exhaust so that if the exhaust is super heated it will protect the floor board.Cars nowadays are more likly to overheat because of converter restrictions and improper fuel mixtures due to faulty engine sensors.It just sounds to me Rob that something is getting the exhaust to hot,I would still pull the resinators and see what happens. JMO and I was wrong once before,so I got a divorce and righted my wrong..lol

lol Mike I don't see why the resonators would cause the mufflers to get hot. I know a few years back we set the rear seat on fire while tuning a carb and the exhaust was cherry red. I know if unbrun fuel gets in the hot gexhaust it will relight in the system. I do have my eye on heat shields to try along with checking the timing as its set for 12 degrees

Rob was it running lean during the break-in? When I first fired the Monte up with the FI and the new cam it was way too lean and had the headers glowing!!! Do you have a fuel ratio gauge hooked up?

lol Mike I don't see why the resonators would cause the mufflers to get hot. I know a few years back we set the rear seat on fire while tuning a carb and the exhaust was cherry red. I know if unbrun fuel gets in the hot gexhaust it will relight in the system. I do have my eye on heat shields to try along with checking the timing as its set for 12 degrees

If the resonators are restricing the exhaust it will cause a super heat condition.You should not need heat shields,nobody else here does to my knowledge.Heat shields will only mask a serious problem that may cause valve damage in the long run.

Rob was it running lean during the break-in? When I first fired the Monte up with the FI and the new cam it was way too lean and had the headers glowing!!! Do you have a fuel ratio gauge hooked up?

My thoughts exactly.

Rob do you have access to a four gas anaylizer,that will tell you HC's and CO and tell you if your running lean,rich or the proper fuel mixture??

The air fuel ratio gauge for the software showed 13.6 to 13.8 and I have it target for 13.5 and that was with the motor turning 2500rpms. I am looking into the timing when I get at least 10gallons of fuel. I guess the next toy for my dash will be a o2 sensor or a exhaust temp gauge.

Running way rich will do it more toward the back of the exhaust system...