Monte shutting down after 15 minutes

Shroka

I've been having a recent problem with my 71 Monte. She starts right away and comes down to idle perfectly but after apprx. 15 minutes of driving or idling the engine starts to stutter and shuts down. A little hard to restart with needing a bit of gas but will shut down again whenever she want too. If I wait several minutes she will start right up again. A new tune up, carb rebuilt, fuel filter (except for the little one in the carb), new fuel were replaced last year.

Wondering what else would cause this to happen? Thanks for any opinions or help.

Bob

No expert here but sounds like she is starving for fuel. A vapor lock is likely not the problem but the fuel pump may be. I'm thinking if the fuel pump has gone South, you would see fuel leaking from a orifice on the fuel pump causing it to lose pressure & starving the Carburator of fuel.

Just a thought!

Doug

I can't recall if the has 71' has a vented gas cap but if so try this. After running the car for a few minutes shut it off. Remove the gas cap and listen for a rush of air. You cap could be bad. Just a sugggestion. I'm sure others will chime in with other trouble shooting ideas.

David

Or HEI ?

The obvious is that dang little filter you mentioned in the carb inlet. They have a very small capacity for holding dirt & crud and plug up easily. The factory type was a sintered bronze type and looks like a bunch of tiny BBs pressed together... they filter well, but clog fast. The parts store also has a pleated paper type, and those have much more surface area and don't clog as often. The paper type is the better option.

I've had cars in the past that would get that filter clogged and they would restrict the fuel flow to just a trickle. The engine would run for a while until it eventually emptied the fuel bowl of the carb faster than it could be refilled. Most of the time it would starve quickly if the engine was put under load, but seemed to run fine if driven conservative.

You may have loose particulate in your fuel tank. As the bowls/fuel line empty the suction from the fuel pump will create vacuum in the tank that pulls the loose stuff into the orifice and clogs it, starving the pump and by proxy the carb. When it shuts off the vacuum stops and the particulate floats away back into the fuel, only to be pulled down again next time you run it. This is even more likely if you've recently ran the tank almost dry as stuff that is usually submerged will break loose when exposed to air and then float on the fuel in the tank until sucked down.

No MSD 6 AL on the car. Is there a problem with them?

Yes, but not a common problem by any means. My car would fire right up run perfectly for 10 minutes then just die. It's been a while since this happened so I don't remember the time frame before I could restart it but it would then fire back up and do the same thing.

It did not matter if it idled or I was driving it down the road but it was exactly 10 minutes every time...it took a while for me to actually time it but as soon as I noticed it I realized it had to be something electronic (besides I already checked everything else), as soon as I removed it from my car everything was back to normal. I've since upgraded to a MSD Digital-6 Plus.