fender question

jacob

why dont they reproduce steel fenders? if they can make fiber glass fenders i dont see why they cant make steel fenders. alot of people would buy them if they reproduced them i know i would it makes sense if a monte gets wrecked and the fenders are irriparable. you have to buy used fenders rework them get patch panels and paint them it would be so easy to just buy a pair bolt them on and then prime and paint.

We had this discussion with several repro parts vendors many times already. All we got from them is 'We will look into it'

I remember reading that the inner structure mold was destroyed, but the outer was still around.

Its all in the tooling really, it would cost them way too much to make for the amount of fenders needed. Besides that, if they are anything like alot of the aftermarket junk out there, it would be a huge investment to put out garbage parts

I am sure if Leo could have them made, it would have been done by now. He knows many companies and sure he has mentioned it them. The skins would be the same for 70-72, its the inner structure that makes the difference on the 70 from 71-72. That would cost a company a nice chunk of $$$ to make.

They could get away with ONE FENDER design. Then reproduce the fender extension to mee the same fender design. The 71-72 bolt up the same, they could make those fenders, make a 70 extension to bolt up just like the 71-72, if somone wanted a fully correct 70 where the front bolt does not step up, then they could modify it there own self.

But ALL aftermarket parts do not fit like originals, no need to make them if they can't get them right just like those sorry patch panels.

They may be available FROM ME soon.

• 2 weeks later...

i now know what the plans for the engine is 1600 to have it rebuiltincluding the parts. im getting a L 69 cam new pistons crank shafts good ported heads with all the beefed up stuff and get it bored 60 over... what ever he recomends so i will have rumble and good power i dont know what one sounds like but the guy specalizes in 350 sb.

A shop in Mayo, SC Exit 80 or so off I-85 does them for $250 with a core. They do about 25 racing transmissions a week. They do not install them, just rebuild them, put in extra clutches, shift kit, etc.