70 Monte Inner Fenders

Andy's Auto

My 70 Ghetto Carlo is missing the inner fenders, but the metal extenders are still there. Some say the Carlos are different than the Chevelle units, others say the extenders are the difference. Before I blow a couple of hundred on repops, will the Chevelle pieces work? I see where Tamraz has what they call the right parts. But that would be an extra $75 shipping where the Chevelle parts are avail local.

Andy

I believe there are some metal ones available, I got the plastic ones from here the parts place Good quality, and I think they were 245 a pair, but not sure on that. They are the only ones reproducing the plastic. Im sure others will chime in here that have used metal though.

Tony

Andy,

Many people install the Chevelle metal inner fender wells. If it isn't a show car you can do as you wish. The main difference between the Chevelle and the Monte is the metal extensions you mentioned. The other difference will be the holes are slightly different and you may have to drill a couple of the holes or slightly enlarge the ones in the new inner fenders. This is no matter if you get the plastic or the metal.

On the plastic ones I got for my Monte I had to trim some of the plastic off of the new inner fender wells because it stuck out past the moulding on th fender.

Rob

I bought a set of Chevelle metal inners at the fall Carlisle show from Ausley's. I just set them into place to see what all was going to need modified. The only hole not drilled for mounting is on the back where the long brace from top of fender to bottom of the body is. The guy from Ausley's told me alot of guys do not even put this bolt in. After seeing it all in place, I don't think I am going to put it in either. The only other modification I could see is you need to drill a hole for your front sidemarker wiring harness to go through, But they where nice enough to put a dimple in the right place for a hole saw bit. And yes, you do need the metal extentions in the front for them to fit.

Good luck.

I bought a set of Chevelle metal inner fenders from www.musclecarsonly.com

They fit reasonably well. Had to drill holes for the harnesses as mentioned above and had to elongate some holes at the fender connection on the driver side only (who knows why the passenger side fit great... confused ).

Check it out here:

http://akw01.fortunecity.com/fenders2.JPG

Are the innerfenderwells a pain to install, or are they relatively easy? I'm gonna have to invest in some in the next year or so. smile

I did mine by myself, but it would be definately easier to have a helper who could push/pull on them to get your bolts started. Remember to not tighten them until you have all the bolts started.

Quote:
Originally posted by EZEE E:

Are the innerfenderwells a pain to install, or are they relatively easy? I'm gonna have to invest in some in the next year or so. smile

I did mine by myself, but it would be definately easier to have a helper who could push/pull on them to get your bolts started. Remember to not tighten them until you have all the bolts started.

Thanks for the info. laugh Yes that is always a great idea. For some domb reason they put the heater motor in the hardest of reach areas on these car. confusednutz

I just got my front clip off so I can do up the firewall and cowl. WHOO HOO, completely rust free laugh

I decided to hit up Danny at Muscle Express in Jupiter to get a set of repop plastic Chevelle units. I'll let you know how well they fit. It sounds like an easy fit, but we will see how consistent the tooling is. If all it is is minor trimming, I am in.

My a/c box showed so I went ahead and ordered a new evap, drier, expansion, and POA valve. I guess I will need to open that virgin case of R12 I havec been hording for 8 years smile

Andy

I BOUGHT MINE FROM THE PARTS PLACE IN IL, THEY FIT GREAT, MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OTHERS OFFER, BUT NORMALLY THEY SELL CHEVELLE AS MONTE, BUT THEY DONT FIT AS GOOD