Boxed Control Arms Question

About what price range should I be looking at for a stock set? I've seen some with new bushings and I was looking at what I should offer. Anybody got some for sale?

Are these lowers Boxed? I need someone to chime in here real quick. I don't see the holes for the swaybar, but they could be drilled. Right?

RearControlArms1.jpgRearControlArms3.jpg

Hey Rodney, hope this gets posted as i am way out in te middle of no-where with little signal.. Those are NOT boxed... You can buy the inserts and have them welded in and then drill holes for swaybar later or cheat and drill them anyways and add spacers inbetween the arms but would recomend the weld in pieces...

Darren.

Wow the guy actually said they were boxed. Oh well I'll keep looking. Thanks guys I know they didn't look like the regular boxed arms but they did look solid and not hollow and I also noticed no holes for swaybar. Almost sent him money.

Hey Rodney. Take a look at these on Ebay the item number is

140810114602 these are what you are after and what they need to look like my friend...

Darren.

PS. You also have to delete some of your PM'S rodney your box is full and I cant send you a PM.....

Hey Rodney. Take a look at these on Ebay the item number is

140810114602 these are what you are after and what they need to look like my friend...

Darren.

PS. You also have to delete some of your PM'S rodney your box is full and I cant send you a PM.....

Hey Darren I won these on Ebay. Linky Going to change the bushings and get them sandblasted and tightened up. How hard is it to change the bushings? Anyone ever done them? Anybody know the part numbers for the bushings?

Rodney,

Replaced the bushings in mine upper/lower a few years back. The best/preferred way to remove/replace is with a Bearing Press. I was fortunate to have access to one when I did mine. Without including a lot of details, they can be very hard to get out and problematic to put new back in. If you don't have access to a bearing press & spacers to press them out/install them, I would have a auto parts/mechanical outlet with that capability do it! It can be well worth the money spent vs. the disappointment & frustration doing it yourself!

I shot blasted mine and coated with POR 15 to preserve them. Took some effort to get em blasted and again when coated but covered them well outside & inside.

The Bushings can be purchased most any full service Auto Parts outlet if you plan on tackling it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Nice BUY! grin

Doug

Hey Rodney, Yep those will work and you can use your upper control arms as they were all the same its just the lowers that were boxed not the top and as he says those are aftermarket uppers. you could get those pressed out at any brake shop or machine shop slip them some cash $20 and they will hydrolic press them out and then have them sand blasted and painted but dont paint the insides where the new bushings will go as that thin layer of paint will prevent them from going in as they are super tight... being up here in Canada I got my bushings from Napa but if my memorey serves me right Jegs or Pep Boys or even The Parts Place Inc can sell you those and yes 70-72 chevelle and 70-72 monte carlo ones are the same. I dont know the part number but the application is what I went off of.

Darren.

Hey Rodney,

I replaced my bushings a few months ago, fairly straight forward if you have a press. I finally bought one on sale for $100, well worth it. Sandblasted and painted the control arms. For the bushings, Autozone has them Linky. Other parts stores will also.

• 3 weeks later...

Got some polyurethane bushings in the mail today. Found them through Search all of Craigslist. They were in Ponoma, California. Got them for $45 shipped. Oh and I went to Advance and used one of their presses and vice and got the old bushings out. One of my friends that is the GM sent the arms out to be powdercoated for me at the remarkable price of FREE!!! through a commercial account yay. You know something? God is good!! I may be out of work but I still can count my Blessings, I still can look forward to a new day, I can't complain because I know there is someone that's worst off than I am. I just want to take the time out to say Thank You to all of you because you all help me everyday that I log onto our site in one way or the other. May I also add, God Bless to everyone as well... Rodney

2012-08-17183036.jpg2012-08-17183134.jpg2012-08-17183219.jpg

Looks nice Rodney, the press beats the old ...put the bushings in the freezer,grab a huge socket and BFH method I used to do lol

Originally Posted By: Ian
Nice!!!

Thanks Guys!!

Nice Rodney, I put Poly on the front suspension of mine and am satisfied with it. Good on you for doing the install yourself. I did that too. I used rubber for the back so I'm curious to get your reviews on it when it is back on the road. Have you done the front as well?

Nice Rodney, I put Poly on the front suspension of mine and am satisfied with it. Good on you for doing the install yourself. I did that too. I used rubber for the back so I'm curious to get your reviews on it when it is back on the road. Have you done the front as well?
No I haven't touched the front suspension because everything is super tight. The only reason I'm changing the rear is because I'm installing a 12 bolt posi with a factory swaybar.

No I haven't touched the front suspension because everything is super tight. The only reason I'm changing the rear is because I'm installing a 12 bolt posi with a factory swaybar.

Cool, in my case I thought it was OK except for a squeak. When I went to replace the springs I found the bushings to be real bad. One of the front lower ones was so bad the sleeve had gone through the bushing as well as the bushing casing and was eating away at the actual LCA (that was the squeak!). My car had lots of rough miles before I got my hands on her frown.

Originally Posted By: 71 MONTE 4 YA

Cool, in my case I thought it was OK except for a squeak. When I went to replace the springs I found the bushings to be real bad. One of the front lower ones was so bad the sleeve had gone through the bushing as well as the bushing casing and was eating away at the actual LCA (that was the squeak!). My car had lots of rough miles before I got my hands on her frown.

Yeah my Monte only has 61,400 actual miles on it. I can't wait to get her done and get behind the wheel.